Second Skin Audio

Zv4 15".....over my head a bit

So my girlfriend decided to surprise me with a Sundown Zv4 15" (dual 2ohm) sub from the yardsale for my bday (yeah, I have an awesome gf). This is only about a month after I decided to buy an XFL 15" and a week after I got a CT1400.1 amp. While super happy, it has presented me with some problems on how to best use the sub. I pulled the XFL out and replaced it with the Zv4. Way better. I liked the XFL a lot and while it got loud the Zv4 just sounds SOOOO much better. The XFL is the only thing I've ever run bigger than a Type R (I can tell you everything about those and have experience with several generations of them). Two main problems are apparent to me though.

1. I have what I think is a ton of port noise. My box sits in a truck with part of the back seat folded up and was right a 3ft3 with the XFL. The Zv4 dwarfs the XFL so I think I have less space after displacement, messing with my tuning a bit (was tuned to 32hz). I have right at 10 in2 of port area and didn't notice much noise with the XFL but it's like there is a box fan in there now. The air is moving fast. What's a good amount of area to shoot for? 15? Consequences of too much?

2. I don't have enough power. Not talking bad about the amp, I like it a lot and it seems to outperform my GLX2200.1 that it replaced. When I really turn it up loud enough to throw the sub around that little red clip light on the bass knob likes to light up and stay nice and bright lol. I don't really want to buy a bigger amp if I can avoid it as I'm already dropping to 11.9v if I don't watch it. Would a bigger box (4.5ft3 maybe?) and bigger port let me get more excursion and sound from the amp I'm running now? Not interested in a HO alternator, I'm too poor lol, and I do plan on getting an XS battery but that's just to better support what I have now. I know it wouldn't be enough to run like 3500rms or something.

Thanks guys, please help a dude out!

4 cubes with around 50sq inches of port will do nice. Your amp does not have enough power for that woofer in a 3 cube box. By the time it actually starts moving you are already clipping. And if you care about the life of your amp and coil dont take it below 12.4v ,have your alternator wires upgraded to 0guage,buy a rear battery and match it with the front. And ONLY use 0 guage

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I'm ready to start building my new box and I'm wanting to experiment with external round ports (I've only ever done slotted ports before) since I've tried and tried but can't fit a 4.5' net box with the tuning and port area I want. I'm wanting to try 4" pvc and make 2 ports for about 80" sq of port area in my math is right. I don't want to use 6" pvc since I don't have a big enough hole saw and a new one is like $40, plus I can't get the pvc at lowes or home depot. Is two of these enough? I could add a third one and still fit the port length.

What would be the effect of 80" vs 120" of port area? Like I said in the OP, I'm running with a CT 1400.1 so power isn't quite as high as it could be (probably around 1.8-2k on my electrical). What would yall recommend?

definitely need more port area. keep to 14-17 in^2 / ft^3 when tuning a box. The higher the ratio, the more peaky it will be. The lower the ratio, the more broad your frequency response will be. Someone correct me if I'm wrong... I too am still learning about box design.

yeah, you are in over your head...send that sub to me please :P

Welcome to the forums.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

Archived