Excessive voltage drop

How did you crimp? What terminals did you use? Pics?

I also have an update on this whole thing...on my way to work it did the normal drop to 12.4-12.6 and never returned voltage to normal. After work, it stayed at 14 so I turned my subs back on and it stayed at 13 full tilt for a couple mins then dropped down as low as 12.3 and back up to 13.5 when I turned it down. There has to be an outside issue somewhere else. Could my ecu be telling my alt that it doesn't need to charge or to charge at the wrong time? If so how in the hell do you fix that kind of problem?

Any ideas why this happens anybody?

2017 Honda Accord Touring 

Build coming soon

an alternator is the best upgrade if you know what you're doing with installs. If you are maintaining these type of voltages you will wet yourself after a solid alternator upgrade.

2004 Grand Prix GT

(2) 12" RE XXXs (04/05 XBL^2)

5 cu. ft tuned @ 35 Hz

MMATS HD4000.05

MMATS SQ4100

Infinity Kappa components

Juice Box black cherry

Duralast platinum group 34

1/0 KNU OFC, 2/0 welding

Singer 250A

The same thing again has happened both times driving my car except I didn't go lower than 12.8 and charged at 14.1 when turned down. Can someone help out with ideas please?

If the car is charging at 14v+ without a load and when a load is applied it drops to about 12.8V that means that your alternator can't supply enough current to meet the demand.

In other words, you need to upgrade the alternator even though 12.8V isn't bad for the amplifier or anything else.

As long as you stay above 12V it's ok.

Offcourse the lower the voltage, the harder the alternator will have to work until a certain point but it will lose life time dramatically.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

This is more if what I'm referring to.

Some customers may comment that their instrument panel voltmeter is fluctuating between 12 and 14 volts on their new 2005 model year light duty full size pickup/utility vehicle.

For 2005 model year, light duty full size pickups and utilities, are equipped with a new Regulated Voltage Control (RVC) system, covered in the September 2004 TechLink. The RVC system allows changes to vehicle voltage, up or down, under various scenarios. Battery state of charge and the vehicle’s present electrical needs are only two of numerous conditions taken into account.

This will cause the voltmeter to fluctuate between 12 and 14 volts. By comparison, conventional systems usually maintain a more consistent reading of 14 volts.

This fluctuation with the RVC system is normal system operation and no repairs should be attempted.

Build coming soon

I got the alt put in today. I did not have time to redo the connections but will soon. It did keep me above 14 on my tach and dmm but my rear amp and battery stayed at low 12's at start and never went up over 12.4. It's always something...

Build coming soon

Huh?

Kept you above 14v on your tack, and stayed at low 12 at start, and never over 12.4.....

Your not even charging... Unless turn on is something.

What dows above 14 on your tach mean?

My sentiment exactly ...

Tach (tachometer) is for engine speed, Sir.

You just confused a bunch of folks who might have thought they had a grip on the issue(s). :unsure:

Zeke

'14

2003 Chevy Monte Carlo SS

MONTEside00030001.jpg

Vehicle Details & Mod List: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/1703-chevrolet-monte-carlo-ss/

Audio Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/143276-2003-chevy-monte-carlo-ss-audio-build-ib-build

Pioneer FH-P8000BT

Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1

Fi IB3 (Two 12", 2-ohm SVC)

RF T400-2 & T500-1bdCP

MechMan S Series 240A

XS Power D3400 & D975

311-vector-logo_zps0d152f73.png sutliffSig_zpsb1df26dd.png

Archived