Need suggestions on an air conditioner

Will be used to cool approx. 250sqft, primarily at night, inside a bedroom. Noise is of concern, and mounting restrictions are: window slides side-to-side, and cannot be mounted in the window. It can be vented through said window, but the main a/c unit itself will need to reside elsewhere. On the floor or something.

What has everyone used? Ideally I'd like something a bit more on the powerful side since the sun shines right into my room and heats the thing like a greenhouse. I run very warm blooded and can't fall asleep without a fan blowing on me at 65 degrees or below.

Some sort of filter for pollen(big time seasonal allergies) would be a HUGE plus. I'd rank that higher on the list than noise.

What does everyone use? I can only glean so much info from google

You sir are in luck. They are in my department at walmart. What you are looking for is called a portable air conditioner. They come in many sizes. For you id probably go like 8k-10k btu. They sit on the floor and have a vent that goes to your window. The other cool thing s that some nowadays are starting to combo them with heaters. So for example we have one that is 479. It is a 12k ac and a 10k heater. So if you live in a colder climate in the winter it may be of use to you.

I will warn you though. Portable acs are typically a fair bit more in price.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

What is budget? They make something called a "mini-split unit" but would most likely need to be installed professionally. But they are whisper quiet and can cool a whole house (small). but they are few grand.

I have never tried one of those room air conditioners but have wondered about them if they actually work good or not. Curious if they are worth it or not from those who have experience with them.

I'm assuming you are talking about your parents house Snow? Is it possible to add another duct line to your room some how to dump more CFM's into it when the central air is on or will it just heat up again inbetween cycles anyways?

Right now what do you use? a fan? Forgot you talked about allergies though. Curious what furnace filter your parents use. Some say to use the ones that don't restrict the airflow BUT the ones that do end up eliminating more than you think. I usually run the cheapest ones I can but lately I switched to some high end ones (I work for 3M and they make them) and I was surprised at even how much less I have to dust the house now and such.

Also, you could look and see if a system called "unico" is still around...

FYI I did commercial/industrial service work including HVAC, refrigeration, plumbing, gas piping, etc. etc. and am universally certified in refrigeration BUT I have been out of that for a while now. But I share you pain, I run warm blooded as well and need it cool in my house as well. I have central air AND use window AC's in the summer. Owned my own home since about 2003 so I do whatever the hell I want, lol

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

We use a portable air conditioner in our kitcken dining room and it does the job well. It can be a little noisy though.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

If you wanna save money and have a solar panel,

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HxSLbpAwibg

MOB-MOBILE: 2005 Honda Accord 5-Speed System: (1) Sundown Audio SA-15 (1) MB Quart ONX1.1500D (1) Kenwood KDC-248U

Speakers:

-Rear Dash: (2) Clarion SRQ6932R 6x9's SOLD

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Instagram (18+) : DabsWitaBudget415

Look into something called a casement air conditioner that is made for slide windows if that's the only thing that was holding you back for one mounted in the window. If not, disregard :)

formerly known as Jaylor Swift

Archived