Wiring subs for Series OR Parallel and using Relays to switch back and forth.

This is a brilliant idea. I bet if you pm Tony C. He would be the one that would know for sure if this will work or not and be able to tell you what you would need to make it work that man is a wiring genius.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

My subs are single 4 ohm voice coils. So... I was thinking about using 4 amps each at 4 ohms for daily, and 3 amps at 1 ohm for the braap braap.

I doubt I will do it though. I'm just curious. :D

Wattage would be about 800 rms per amp at 4 ohms and somewhere around 1800 per amp 1 ohm on burps. Like I said- even if I do it, it wouldn't be any time soon... I'm just really curious as to relay sizes needed.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

The little automotive relays aren't going to work. What I would try that you would have a better chance with would be something like one of the Finder relays http://www.findernet.com/en-US/products/families/9/series/65 We use these in the PLC panles that we design at work. They are designed for high voltage applications. Some of the ones that we use can handle up to 600 volts AC.

I think that it is honestly a waste of time and not worth the effort but its totally doable with the right relay.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

The little automotive relays aren't going to work. What I would try that you would have a better chance with would be something like one of the Finder relays http://www.findernet.com/en-US/products/families/9/series/65 We use these in the PLC panles that we design at work. They are designed for high voltage applications. Some of the ones that we use can handle up to 600 volts AC.

I think that it is honestly a waste of time and not worth the effort but its totally doable with the right relay.

needs ones that can handle more than just voltage but also amperage

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

Project completed. I'll go into more detail in my build log in the next day or two.

I've only tested for a couple days so far but am seeing great results.

The voltage rating will be no problem, you need to measure or calculate the required current that the relays will need to handle.

I had to hunt around but found some nice 150a relays.

I have to say, being able to change my sub wiring configuration with just a button press is beyond NICE! :D

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

If you do it, could you measure the true impedance that you are getting after the relays? I'm interested if it would be what calculations would state. Because the more breaks you have in a wire the higher the resistance... just something I would be interested to see!

2002 Toyota Corolla

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Soundqubed Q1-2200d

Soundqubed HDC3.118

Soundqubed Q4-120

Alpine SPR-60

Alpine SPR-60C

Project done with pics and a vid of the subs playing:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-new-reconesduscaps-with-video-bass-turbo-button/page-63

Works great.

I haven't had a chance to sweep my impedance but everything seems to work and sound just fine.

:woot:

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

i did this back in 01.. off of about 6k.. there were no issues. used the same wiring diagram that you have. now just do the work

:ninja:

When your at the top everyone is coming for you, friends, family, haters and even those who don't know you.. my advice.. KILL EM ALL

here's a pic since some folks around here always think that im blowing smoke

Picture051.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-11.jpg

what it was powering

new5.jpg

:ninja:

When your at the top everyone is coming for you, friends, family, haters and even those who don't know you.. my advice.. KILL EM ALL

Archived