Second Skin Audio

recone stiffness & break in time

ZachG

So I just got 1 of my 12" obsidian reconed cause I cooked one of the tinsel's a few months ago. I decided to invert this time around cause I am gaining about .32 volume. The new sub seems to move less than a quater as much as my old one wired at 2 ohm. I am guessing this is just cause it is stiff? Also not moving air from the port really but im defiantly getting bass. Only turning it up less than a quater for now.

Which is my second question. How long does most of you break in for? I was thinking working my way up to 8 hours for full tilt.

Thanks

1998 Pontiac grand prix gtp supercharged2 12" Obsidain Audio V.1 on a 2011 zx1500.1 at 2 ohms. 20ft of Knuconceptz CCA 0 Guage. 2nd Battery is a Shurken BT-120. Box is 3.5cu tuned at 31.8hz sealed off from the trunk. 14sqft of Dynamat on the Rear deck top & bottom. Soon to be more for doors/roof. Gets low & loud

Did a 140.5 Sealed at Battle of the boom in June 2013 dropping to 12.7v (need a alt mines going bad)

If your gains are set right and you feel you did the recone properly. let it loose.

If your gains are set right and you feel you did the recone properly. let it loose.

My buddy keith did the recone. He's good. He's got the jeep with 12 12s in a 4th dc audio. Does a 165 I believe and plays everything If you from longisland ny you would know.

But I've always been told and heard to break in slowly on a fresh recone?

You just crank it?

1998 Pontiac grand prix gtp supercharged2 12" Obsidain Audio V.1 on a 2011 zx1500.1 at 2 ohms. 20ft of Knuconceptz CCA 0 Guage. 2nd Battery is a Shurken BT-120. Box is 3.5cu tuned at 31.8hz sealed off from the trunk. 14sqft of Dynamat on the Rear deck top & bottom. Soon to be more for doors/roof. Gets low & loud

Did a 140.5 Sealed at Battle of the boom in June 2013 dropping to 12.7v (need a alt mines going bad)

"Break-in" is just the time untill the new the suspention settles. I know there's a thread somewhere about it.

Think of it like stretching a fresh elastic band for the first time...

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

So I just got 1 of my 12" obsidian reconed cause I cooked one of the tinsel's a few months ago. I decided to invert this time around cause I am gaining about .32 volume. The new sub seems to move less than a quater as much as my old one wired at 2 ohm. I am guessing this is just cause it is stiff? Also not moving air from the port really but im defiantly getting bass. Only turning it up less than a quater for now.

Which is my second question. How long does most of you break in for? I was thinking working my way up to 8 hours for full tilt.

Thanks

i thought only the cheaply built Fi SP4 was the only one with issues on the tinsels ::sarcasm::

you can play them and eventually it will even out with the other.. that is if its made by the same manufacturer for the same model

Play it as normal. Break in is simply a term for the sub loosening up during normal use, NOT a separate process that the end user needs to worry about

Put it in, play it, be done

Na, it is best to give it a little time before going all out. At least a few hours.

But it usually takes a while to fully break-in and loosen up. Plus, it all depends on the parts used.
Did he use a drop in kit? Or just assemble parts himself?
Cause if it had soft spiders, and he used stiff ones, that will greatly affect how much it "moves"

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

Na, it is best to give it a little time before going all out. At least a few hours.

But it usually takes a while to fully break-in and loosen up. Plus, it all depends on the parts used.

Did he use a drop in kit? Or just assemble parts himself?

Cause if it had soft spiders, and he used stiff ones, that will greatly affect how much it "moves"

I got a drop in from obsidian. But yea I was planning on giving it a few hours before I go full tilt. Kind of like guestimate 2 hour play time then turn it a little past half.

But thanks all. Was just looking for some input

Archived