Blindness... Color.... My thoughts for the day

Puf puff pass.

This is what I think about on a daily basis :twirl:
If you think about it this way, there is no way to really tell, we imagine them seeing black all of the time because that is the closest thing we can imagine. But in reality they dont even know what black is because they have never experienced what we see as black.

Edit: upon reading that seems very insensitive of me but I hope everyone understands what I am trying to say.

Yup...

everything taste like chicken....

what if your chicken is nacho cheese......

yadda yadda

I always thought my myself when I was a kid how would you explain colors. Well red is the color of blood. But they have never seen blood before so how would that help them? I don't really think there is a way to help them identify colors.

When they dream, what do they see?

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

I always thought my myself when I was a kid how would you explain colors. Well red is the color of blood. But they have never seen blood before so how would that help them? I don't really think there is a way to help them identify colors.

When they dream, what do they see?

Since a blind person has never seen is it possible for them to dream images? Something that their brain has never processed?

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Let me ask you this: what does ultraviolet or infrared look like? We can't see either of those but they are just other forms of light with wavelengths higher and lower than our perception....

I would have to guess that blind people have no real way of imagining what a color looks like in the same way we cant imagine what the rest of the light spectrum "looks like"

Team NorthWestSPL

This is an interesting question for sure. My answer is no blind people cannot imagine colors we cannot see. Let me explain

The eyes whether blind or not are all made up of the same parts, rods and cones. These are connected to the optic nerve which then goes to the brain. All people have the same parts, although some may not function properly or at all.

Because of this reason their brain is not able to imagine anything beyond the capabilities of its sensory organs. It is not programmed to do so.

The ones that can see unknown things are those with brain maladies. You can never know what they see though because their brain tricks itself into believing itself. The brain is the biggest compulsive liar you know

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

This is an interesting question for sure. My answer is no blind people cannot imagine colors we cannot see. Let me explain

The eyes whether blind or not are all made up of the same parts, rods and cones. These are connected to the optic nerve which then goes to the brain. All people have the same parts, although some may not function properly or at all.

Because of this reason their brain is not able to imagine anything beyond the capabilities of its sensory organs. It is not programmed to do so.

The ones that can see unknown things are those with brain maladies. You can never know what they see though because their brain tricks itself into believing itself. The brain is the biggest compulsive liar you know

Exactly, and from that, you could go so far as to say we all know what it is like to be blind in the broadest sense. There are plenty of forms of light around us everyday that we simply are not ^equipped to be able to see. We dont have the sensory organs to see them and therefor cannot even begin to fathom what those other light forms might look like...and the craziest part is, when we do try to imagine those other forms of light, we still see the images we create in our heads in the same basic colors that we already know! But in reality these other frequencies of light really are different "colors"...and we just dont know they exist...we truely can't imagine seeing them

Team NorthWestSPL

Exactly, and from that, you could go so far as to say we all know what it is like to be blind in the broadest sense. There are plenty of forms of light around us everyday that we simply are not ^equipped to be able to see. We dont have the sensory organs to see them and therefor cannot even begin to fathom what those other light forms might look like...and the craziest part is, when we do try to imagine those other forms of light, we still see the images we create in our heads in the same basic colors that we already know! But in reality these other frequencies of light really are different "colors"...and we just dont know they exist...we truely can't imagine seeing them

I had a really interesting conversation about this once. Something about cobras being able to see infrared and someone asked why we couldnt see them and the answer we got was just amazing.

Simply put we cannot see infrared (heat) because it would essentially blind us. All we would be able to see is our own body giving off heat but our body still utilizes heat signals (infrared) via a different sense, touch.

That got me thinking that there is some point where some senses can overlap. They are graduated tiers all sensing the same "thing" that is interpreted by the brain as different unique things.

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build