hammiethebasshead Posted June 1, 2014 Report Posted June 1, 2014 As the title says I am thinking about building a 4th order for my 15. My question is what are the advantages of a 4th over ported? once you get a speaker moving so hard that its possible to make tinsels slap, you are already kissing "SQ" goodbye. Don't get me wrong, as I smoke Marlboro Reds, but if I saw one more kid with that smug-ass look (Look at me I'm smoking indoors) on their face, I was going to shove that thing so far up someone's ass that they'd look like a hillbilly trying to understand quantitative prediction theorem. You know why people are ass holes online but not in person? Because getting punched in the mouth hurts.
ToNasty Posted June 1, 2014 Report Posted June 1, 2014 More bandwith. But there big enclosures ***Super Sellers List***http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/25829-super-sellers-buyers
Aj11 Posted June 1, 2014 Report Posted June 1, 2014 better sound, nothing sounds like a 4th. you.get the.best of both worlds. the tight snap and.low bass. you Can get that from a really well built ported box tho. jvc deck stinger 1800 front hc 2000 kinetic rear 2 runs of 1/0g big 3/4 ct 60.4 2 ct 1400.1 ct EXO 15 d1 lots of deadner type r comps front stage 6 kicker tweets rear stage lots of great stuff coming soon ho alt more bats ct comps for front stage more deadner sweet amp rack lots of L.E.D lights new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)
kirill007 Posted June 1, 2014 Report Posted June 1, 2014 As the title says I am thinking about building a 4th order for my 15. My question is what are the advantages of a 4th over ported? You can get good output out of them if you sacrifice bandwidth and they can sound good if you sacrifice output drastically. Advantage:only real advantage is that you they usually work better in a trunk that is closed off then a ported box. Less distortion then a ported box. Disadvantages: it has to be built precisely according to specs, not as good as a ported box for a daily driver. You can't hear stress of the drivers as well, so easier to destroy a woofer. A ported box for a daily driver is for 99% of the people the best solution, the other 1 % is for people who have a trunk with only a ski pass and the trunk is sealed off. Thinking is the root of all problems... You ALWAYS get what you pay for.
Triticum Agricolam Posted June 1, 2014 Report Posted June 1, 2014 4th order bandpass boxes can give you a lot of control over how the box sounds, like others have said, they can be really efficient over a small frequency range, or really even over a larger range but less efficient. I'm not a huge fan of them myself, but one situation they do well is giving you similar sound to sealed box but with higher efficiency. Its a MUCH larger box though. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
hammiethebasshead Posted June 2, 2014 Author Report Posted June 2, 2014 still debating but I might just stick to a ported for ease of build since I am not keeping a single sub setup in my tahoe once you get a speaker moving so hard that its possible to make tinsels slap, you are already kissing "SQ" goodbye. Don't get me wrong, as I smoke Marlboro Reds, but if I saw one more kid with that smug-ass look (Look at me I'm smoking indoors) on their face, I was going to shove that thing so far up someone's ass that they'd look like a hillbilly trying to understand quantitative prediction theorem. You know why people are ass holes online but not in person? Because getting punched in the mouth hurts.
RooTxBeeR Posted June 2, 2014 Report Posted June 2, 2014 still debating but I might just stick to a ported for ease of build since I am not keeping a single sub setup in my tahoe Probably would be a good idea, there's a lot to go into desiging a 4th order bandpass. On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said: Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol. On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said: fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said: I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha Soon To Be '04 Ford Escape US Alternator 280A Hairpin D4800 Under the Hood (6) XP3000's in Rear 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply Pioneer DEH-80PRS DD AW6.5 (2) per door *Tweeter Unkown* DD SS4a & C3d (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm (2) 15" Sundown Zv5
Karkov Posted June 2, 2014 Report Posted June 2, 2014 still debating but I might just stick to a ported for ease of build since I am not keeping a single sub setup in my tahoe still debating but I might just stick to a ported for ease of build since I am not keeping a single sub setup in my tahoe Probably would be a good idea, there's a lot to go into desiging a 4th order bandpass. It's not like you will be dissatisfied with a proper ported box. Run ported this summer, then read up on 4th for the next year and go 4th order next summer. 2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD) 12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option 2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67 3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet) 1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4 4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps (rear fill only) 1 ~ XS Power D4800 1 ~ XS Power D3400 8 ~ XS Power XP3000 160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power 320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0
hammiethebasshead Posted June 2, 2014 Author Report Posted June 2, 2014 still debating but I might just stick to a ported for ease of build since I am not keeping a single sub setup in my tahoe still debating but I might just stick to a ported for ease of build since I am not keeping a single sub setup in my tahoe Probably would be a good idea, there's a lot to go into desiging a 4th order bandpass. It's not like you will be dissatisfied with a proper ported box. Run ported this summer, then read up on 4th for the next year and go 4th order next summer. that's what I was thinking. cause I won't be able to pick up a second woofer for another year or so anyway when I get out of college and get a good mechanic job once you get a speaker moving so hard that its possible to make tinsels slap, you are already kissing "SQ" goodbye. Don't get me wrong, as I smoke Marlboro Reds, but if I saw one more kid with that smug-ass look (Look at me I'm smoking indoors) on their face, I was going to shove that thing so far up someone's ass that they'd look like a hillbilly trying to understand quantitative prediction theorem. You know why people are ass holes online but not in person? Because getting punched in the mouth hurts.
RooTxBeeR Posted June 2, 2014 Report Posted June 2, 2014 still debating but I might just stick to a ported for ease of build since I am not keeping a single sub setup in my tahoe still debating but I might just stick to a ported for ease of build since I am not keeping a single sub setup in my tahoe Probably would be a good idea, there's a lot to go into desiging a 4th order bandpass. It's not like you will be dissatisfied with a proper ported box. Run ported this summer, then read up on 4th for the next year and go 4th order next summer. Very true, If you look hard enough you can find so much info. I can't remember the link exactly, but on another forum there was a few hundred page topic dedicated to 4th order designs and how they work. Just from the small chunk I read I learned a big part in how 4th orders work. Good build come in good time. On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said: Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol. On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said: fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said: I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha Soon To Be '04 Ford Escape US Alternator 280A Hairpin D4800 Under the Hood (6) XP3000's in Rear 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply Pioneer DEH-80PRS DD AW6.5 (2) per door *Tweeter Unkown* DD SS4a & C3d (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm (2) 15" Sundown Zv5
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.