if you checked your oil while the car was running or just turned off it will always say its low since the oil was pumped to the top.. always check oil with car off and has been off for a few minutes to an hour

The engine had just started so it wasn't warmed up yet. Of course I shut the engine off when I checked it.

Yeah, so when the oil was all "cold" & you turned the engine off, it was all up in the valvetrain & lifter valley, etc., ... the top of the engine, & would take a real long time to ooze back down to the pan ... it absolutely would have read low ... maybe so much so that it might've not even shown on the stick. Oil is thicker when cold ... it gets thinner as it heats up.

The honest-to-goodness best way to remove extra oil you may have added it to remove the oil filter ... It is going to be full. Throw it away. Install a new one that is filled approximately 1/4 full. If you have to do this a time or two, then so be it ... certainly cheaper than dumping everything & doing the whole change again ...

Aaannnddd ... uh, ... the Shop-Vac on your dipstick tube comment?!?! Are you kidding me? I cannot believe that came out of anyone's mouth, let alone fingertips ... I genuinely hope Truth was kidding, as just the idea of picturing it SHOULD have folks saying, "Huh?!?".

But what do I know?

As far as taking it someplace the first moment Monday's sunrise happens I do believe is very premature, but your money is your money, & many places will be very willing to take it, ... & end up doing the exact same procedures I just spelled out above.

Zeke

'14

2003 Chevy Monte Carlo SS

MONTEside00030001.jpg

Vehicle Details & Mod List: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/1703-chevrolet-monte-carlo-ss/

Audio Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/143276-2003-chevy-monte-carlo-ss-audio-build-ib-build

Pioneer FH-P8000BT

Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1

Fi IB3 (Two 12", 2-ohm SVC)

RF T400-2 & T500-1bdCP

MechMan S Series 240A

XS Power D3400 & D975

311-vector-logo_zps0d152f73.png sutliffSig_zpsb1df26dd.png

Whatever the reason, the bill is being paid by someone else so if there is a problem it's taken care of. I was a few miles down the road, the gauge should of read normal like it usually does.

The eaiset way to drain the oil is to loosen the oil drain plug slowly with a catch pan under it and let some of the oil drain out then plug it back up. This method will also allow you to add the oil you catch back in if you drain to much. The best way to check your oil is with the engine hot and sitting on a level surface let the car sit 10 minutes after you're done driving before you check so the oil has time to drain back into the pan. No as for your oil pressure problem many things could cause it but before you try figuring out what the problem is get your oil level straightened out first. Also as others have stated being one quart over full won't necessarily hurt anything it could blow smoke and clog your cat's but it's not very likely.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I just wanted to see what others thought. Up til today all gauges showed normal weather the vehicle was just started up or been driven for a while. Today the oil gauge decided to read low, in the month I had this thing it never did that. In fact I never had that happen in car I had in the past. Even when I blew the motor in my Taurus. Even if it is nothing, most places wont charge.

I just wanted to see what others thought. Up til today all gauges showed normal weather the vehicle was just started up or been driven for a while. Today the oil gauge decided to read low, in the month I had this thing it never did that. In fact I never had that happen in car I had in the past. Even when I blew the motor in my Taurus. Even if it is nothing, most places wont charge.

A mechanic that does anything for free? Good luck with that.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

A mechanic that does anything for free? Good luck with that.

Actually I had one do some work on a Ranger I had and didn't charge me a dime. Small towns like I live in are much different than big cities. Not sayin that I wont have to pay this time, it just all depends on what needs done.

I don't know why you are freaking out about your oil *pressure* gauge. It's not a level gauge, just a pressure gauge. Fluctuation is is both normal and expected. You'll fond manufacturers list oil pressure specs for idle and X rpm for that reason

dodge uses a "dummy" guage for oil pressure starting in '03, once the computer sees about 10 psi it commands the guage to rise and fluctuate with the vehicle voltage. normally reads about 20 psi at idle and rises to 40 as soon as you touch the accelerator. i would definatly have someone check oil pressure but keep in mind that oil pressure will drop as temperature increases but the pcm is telling the bcm where to put the needle

2 - everest soundlabs bt12

audiopipe d1500

pioneer gmd8601

audiopipe tsqr15

2 - optima yellowtop

pioneer deh 7300bt

Archived