Sonic Electronix

Applying to car audio shop, what to know ?

So today after work I'm going to the local audio shop to see about a job I've already talked to the owner and he told me to come down today and talk to him, I've seen him on and off

Over the years when I just need random wires or plugs and didn't feel like ordering online and he's seen a lot of my builds, so I was wondering what all I should know and skills I should be expected to have before working at an audio shop, I've done tons of box building and full audio installations in my vehicles and friends cars, and currently run 8 sa 12s walled in my truck on an [email protected] I'm not new to car audio by no means but have never went to school for it or worked in a shop, I'm in school for automotive systems technologies now, so I'm just trying to get out of my current job and work somewhere I enjoy while I'm in school.

8 sundown sa 12s walled
Saz3000 at .5
HO alt
All ofc Sky high wire
Alpine components
Rockford power mids

imagesCAA9EA5N_zps0f411022.jpga5ec9a01-b60c-4312-9001-236b48dfe6b0_zpsb01ef146-7fd0-47c3-90e9-f1a2d4595b03_zpsimagesCATNMRMV_zps66a8566a.jpg

Unless the shop is departmentalized with regard to staff, you'll need electrical, carpentry, acoustic, metal fabrication, and finish (paint, carpet) skills. Personally, I would almost always hire someone with your experience and no formal education over someone with a piece of paper that says they passed a test but with no real world experience.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Awesome I'm hoping that's how he is, he seems cool and I know he's seen a lot of my work and I've seen some "shotty" work from their shop, boxes falling apart, wires in dashes left unconnected after installs in the past and also talked to people who have went to school for it and a lot of the stuff they knew and everything seemed a bit dated as well so hopefully I can go in and learn some things and show that I can do some good work as well.

8 sundown sa 12s walled
Saz3000 at .5
HO alt
All ofc Sky high wire
Alpine components
Rockford power mids

imagesCAA9EA5N_zps0f411022.jpga5ec9a01-b60c-4312-9001-236b48dfe6b0_zpsb01ef146-7fd0-47c3-90e9-f1a2d4595b03_zpsimagesCATNMRMV_zps66a8566a.jpg

Awesome I'm hoping that's how he is, he seems cool and I know he's seen a lot of my work and I've seen some "shotty" work from their shop, boxes falling apart, wires in dashes left unconnected after installs in the past and also talked to people who have went to school for it and a lot of the stuff they knew and everything seemed a bit dated as well so hopefully I can go in and learn some things and show that I can do some good work as well.

Seams to me part of the benefit you have is your current build/vehicle. It's a living, breathing resume. Offer to take him through it and show him around, maybe pull some trim panels and show him how you do your wiring ect. Be prepared to talk about how the wall is designed (ported, 4th/6th order, ect.) Talk him through the electrical that was necessary. If he owns a shop and isn't a tool, you won't have to hold him by the hand but it'll be to your benefit to use the build as a diplay for all the various knowledge you have.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

bb you need to hire me!

but I've applied to ever audio shop around me and have been turned down. one because i don't tune by ear and 2 because i don't know how to install car starters (yet) i have.almost 200 installs under my belt but because i don't have that piece of paper i get the Shaft!

but they hire kids that don't know what a big 3 is... i wanna move!

good luck man live my dream until i can get out of NY!

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

From what I've experienced, very little knowledge is required to work at a typical car audio shop.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

bring a portfolio of your work so they know what your capable of

2002 Honda CR-V
Alpine 9887

My Build

Rebuilding...

Second Skin Damp
4 DC XL 15's
2 DC 5ks
Singer 320 amp
6 cap banks
Sky High wire
2 VM-1's
OM-1

all under window line

Team DC Audio

Obama has a law he's trying to pass right now, trying to ban Leo for being a threat to children everywhere.

EDIT: Not in a JP kind of way.

I thought I was going to die from all the jizz filling my ears.

I applied to a shop and they were goanna give me the job after they saw my system and after I told them about all my experience. sadly they wanted me full time all year round which I cant do so I had to pass. if you have experience and can prove it most shops will like that.

2007 Ford Focus SES Hatchback

Pioneer HU

4 Digital Designs 9515i's in a B pillar.

2 Soundstream XXX 15K's (running at 16 volts)

Soundstream Mids/Highs in custom door panels (getting rebuilt soon)

Soundstream TA2.160 and TA2.400

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Winston Lithium (not a fan)

Bump4Life 250 Amp Alt. aka USAlternators

Soundstream Focus and Avenger Build Log

Instagram @p4linnovation

YouTube: Team Blowin Loud 

From what I've experienced, very little knowledge is required to work at a typical car audio shop.

i wish you weren't right! a few weeks ago i didn't have a choice but to go to my local shop. i needed a bigger fuse. i picked up a 250amp anl fuse. the kid behind the counter said "damn how big is you're amp!?" i Told him and he replied that fuse is to big.

no no it's not!

"yea you fuse the amp and your amp will catch fire with that fuse!"

this is the brilliant people working at my local shop! so very Sad, but i can't work there right? smh!

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff