Sonic Electronix

Alternator Ground/Clipping only 1 Channel

So I've been on a wild chase with this audio and all signs finally point to one channel. my front left channel has a whine (like a ground issue) when car is on (even if the radio is not playing, and the system is off except the amp because of Remote). The one channel is making this noise and strictly that one speaker. I switch terminals that the speaker is coming out of, still that one channel. Swapped xovers, still that one channel. I even switched RCAs to that one channel to see if it is coming from my preamp setup, but it is not. It is still dependant on that one channel. Also it is disorted sounding, and then clips in and out at about 25/40 when all other speakers are clear and crisp (amp clip protection). What could be the cause? I am thinking wiring to that speaker? Should I try to route a new speaker wire directly to the speaker? Is it blown? Suggestions. Thanks.

IMAG0023-1-1-1.jpg

Pioneer AVH-p5700DVD | MB Quart Onyx ONX4.125 | 6.5 Alpine Type-S component & 6x9 3-way | Hifonics Brutus brz1700.1d | 2 - 12" Kicker L7 | Custom box tuned to 36 hz | 220A Mechman Alternator | 1/0 OFC Welding all the way back | Big 3 | 2 Farad Tsunami Cap | Deka 9a34 | 20% Tint | 6000K HIDs | Yellow Projector Fogs | Dual Out Magnaflow

i had a similar issue with one of my brand new amps. only 1 channel made a loud hissing noise and when music played it distorted while the others played just fine. no matter what i did it would still hiss. i even unplugged the rcas and it still made noise so i sent it in for repair and it was something wrong with that one channel. try hooking up a different speaker completely with a different wire and if it still makes noise my guess is that something is up with the amp.

i had a similar issue with one of my brand new amps. only 1 channel made a loud hissing noise and when music played it distorted while the others played just fine. no matter what i did it would still hiss. i even unplugged the rcas and it still made noise so i sent it in for repair and it was something wrong with that one channel. try hooking up a different speaker completely with a different wire and if it still makes noise my guess is that something is up with the amp.

Pretty sure it isn't the amp. As stated, even if I change the leads to a working channel, it is the same result. Also, it did it with my old amp, and this is what fried that one. So this is a brand new replacement amp.

IMAG0023-1-1-1.jpg

Pioneer AVH-p5700DVD | MB Quart Onyx ONX4.125 | 6.5 Alpine Type-S component & 6x9 3-way | Hifonics Brutus brz1700.1d | 2 - 12" Kicker L7 | Custom box tuned to 36 hz | 220A Mechman Alternator | 1/0 OFC Welding all the way back | Big 3 | 2 Farad Tsunami Cap | Deka 9a34 | 20% Tint | 6000K HIDs | Yellow Projector Fogs | Dual Out Magnaflow

maybe i misunderstood what you had in your op. i thought you said that you switch things to that one channel and it keeps making noise. either way hope you get it cleared up. even if it is a new amp it could have something wrong just like mine did.

maybe i misunderstood what you had in your op. i thought you said that you switch things to that one channel and it keeps making noise. either way hope you get it cleared up. even if it is a new amp it could have something wrong just like mine did.

Yup, not dependent on that one channel, just that one speaker. And I really think it has something to do with the speaker since it did the same exact thing on another amp.

IMAG0023-1-1-1.jpg

My guess is that the wire going to the speaker is worn and is either shorting to ground or from + to -. Not like a "good short" as in the connection made is not a good one, but just enough to jack with the equipment. Also I think you said the amp protects when you turn it up and on the way up it sounds bad, I thinks its a bad wire. Run new wires to your speakers and I bet that will fix it.

My guess is that the wire going to the speaker is worn and is either shorting to ground or from + to -. Not like a "good short" as in the connection made is not a good one, but just enough to jack with the equipment. Also I think you said the amp protects when you turn it up and on the way up it sounds bad, I thinks its a bad wire. Run new wires to your speakers and I bet that will fix it.

My thought is a short as well. It was factory integrated in the OEM signal wire, so it may have went bad somehow. I am going to run a new wire directly to the woofer. That should do it.

maybe there's a power wire along that speaker wire

I wouldn't be surprised if a splice didn't go bad in the line.

IMAG0023-1-1-1.jpg

Archived