Second Skin Audio

Not Too Happy With Fi Audio Q 18"

So I got it metered today and only hit 142.0 or something like that. Prolly around 35 hz it peaked. That was with car off and sealed up on front window. i'm running 1000 watts RMS from a bxi1206d. The box has a huge slot port and is crx style.

My last system was a 2006 15" L7 (crx style). It had relativly small port area (2 4" aeroports), and was an SQ setup, and it hit 142.1 dB at last dB drag comp. This new setup (fi) sounds waaaaaay louder and makes my cd player skip and stuff and yet it doesn't throw up good numbers at all. I was hoping for at least a 143.5 or 144....

I realize higher bass notes hit better numbers, so i'm screwed with the Q, but my L7 setup was tuned to 32 hz., and it still wanged pretty good, peaking at 37hz.. This setup is tuned to 30 hz.

I know I need more power, but seriously, how much can i even gain from that???

Honestly, the L7 sounded way better on most songs. The Q sounds amazing on a few select songs, but it cant play high notes for shit, and i'm just not impressed. Maybe i need to change something?

I got some kid in my dB drag class that will be running 2 12" boston G5's on a memphis 1100, and he's hitting 144.8!!! wtf (my electrical system is better and his box is a prefab)

-------------------------------------------------

1st place circuit city car/spl show (maplewood,MN) 2006

146.6 dB's with 2 12" L7 and 1606d brutus

maybe its the box? or setings just not set for peak performance.. it can be a number of many different things, most will start picking the box build, elec, power for sub.... test and tune is really the only way to know if you are geting the most out of the sub

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets

Well, here is my box.... I think i hit the box right on the money. I mean it sounds pretty damn good for most rap songs - I just am kinda amazed that it doesn't put out better numbers, i thought this would be an upgrade from my L7.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...18201&st=40

I only had one 15 earlier, the fact that it is square means that my 18 is prolly just very slightly larger if not equal. But it has way more xmax, so it shoudl be louder.

On a termpro forum i think, ppl were maxing their Q's out at like 144, maybe even 145 with 1500 or more watts. Belive me, my electrical is pretty good, and i think my box is, look at the pics and see if u see anything wrong.

I only had one 15 earlier, the fact that it is square means that my 18 is prolly just very slightly larger if not equal. But it has way more xmax, so it shoudl be louder.

thought i read l7(s) plural :(

and xmax dont do much if you dont got the power to push the sub.

the q is rated at 1000rms, but its going to take more power most likely to get the 18 inch cone moving then the 15 inch cone.

and well comming from a hifonics amp, yea i dunno......

edit: also, them sides on your new box could be limiting performance a bit (around the wheel wells), it could be restricting air flow and forcing/trapping the air flow.

you said your car was off? try it with it on and see if it improves???

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

Archived