Second Skin Audio

How much is too much for Sundown X 12's?

SQL50

I know these subs are rated @ 1250 rms, and I know they can take abuse and take more than their rated power. Later on in the future I would like to run them on a Rockford T2500-1bdcp which average on birthsheets (from what I've seen) about 3300 rms @ 1 ohm, but I'm open to other amps as well, it's more of a sq setup that I'm going after with good output. Would 400 rms over the rating be alright? And if so, what would be a sufficient box volume for them given that their in a ported enclosure running over rms? Like 2.25-2.5 cu^ft of useable airspace per sub at 30-32 hz? I'm open to constructive criticism and any help is appreciated. I've put in a lot of time and research into getting the right equipment and I want to get it right the first time if you know what I mean. It turns into a money pit pretty quick.

Of course all of this from a noob prospective because I've never owned sundown products. I've just seen and heard about them. Don't really know their real world limits. I see people slamming them all the time and it surprises me to this day how they can take all that excursion & abuse and the surround not being ripped from the basket. I don't doubt that they can be played like that, but for how long?

Archived