Sonic Electronix

One can use the bass boost if they so desire, but most (myself included) advise against it. they just have to use the same test tone that the bass boost is centered on so as to prevent excessive clipping when setting the gain. The end result though is that the sub will hit hard around the bass boost frequency and be quite weak on most everything else. This will be undesirable by most.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ease of gain setting is not what my augment is about. I have never once said the DD1 doesn't make gain setting easier, I only said that playing test tones to set gains by ear can be as effective, and believe it or not, it is and has been proven.

Have you a DD-1? Care to prove me wrong?

I bought my DD-1 about 2 months after it came out. Used it one several systems. And I used to set by by ear.

NEXT!

if you have a vu meter it can make things easier.. one that you can adjust with the output. you set the gain with oscope and use a tuned vu meter and when you see red on it you know youre clipping

Ease of gain setting is not what my augment is about. I have never once said the DD1 doesn't make gain setting easier, I only said that playing test tones to set gains by ear can be as effective, and believe it or not, it is and has been proven.

I bought my DD-1 about 2 months after it came out. Used it one several systems. And I used to set by by ear.

NEXT!

real men set by ear... and people who cant afford DD-1 lol But seriously though, i set my everything by ear and i never had problems. I would rather have a DD-1 to set my gains, i just make due with what i have.

1997 subaru legacy outback

Four 15's in a almost wall

Rockford Fosgate t2500-1bdcp

Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on tweets
Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on highs
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midrange
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midbass

Optima Yellow top batteries
270A Singer alt (working on a bracket for a second) 
Lots of Second Skin

Used to set by ear. Care to explain? Did you use test tones or bass heavy music?

I think you are trying to justify having spent so much on the DD-1, which that's cool, it's your money and if it were me, I'd probably be trying to justify my purchase every chance I got as well.

Used to set by ear. Care to explain? Did you use test tones or bass heavy music?

I think you are trying to justify having spent so much on the DD-1, which that's cool, it's your money and if it were me, I'd probably be trying to justify my purchase every chance I got as well.

40hz test tones all the way man... all the way.

Lots of Second Skin

$125 is not a huge amount of money compared to burnt voice coils. Setting by ear was done for years, but now that there are tools available which are more accurate, why not use them.

this.

Lots of Second Skin

$125 is not a huge amount of money compared to burnt voice coils. Setting by ear was done for years, but now that there are tools available which are more accurate, why not use them.

okay. I fully agree with this. The dispute the whole time was that you "couldn't" tune by ear. You could. Just not as accurately. We can all agree to that.

Current Setup: 2002 Ford Focus SE (stock electrical)

-Kenwood Excelon KDC-X397

-Infinity Kappa 6x9's in each door

-Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D

-2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3D2

Backups:

-12" Power Acoustik Mofo-122X in 36hz T-Line box

-Soundstream Piasso P1.1200D

NEXT!

real men set by ear... and people who cant afford DD-1 lol But seriously though, i set my everything by ear and i never had problems. I would rather have a DD-1 to set my gains, i just make due with what i have.

I set by ear, RTA or voltage until tools like the DD-1 came along. If you cant afford a DD-1, this site provides an SMD tools map on this site.

Come to AZ. I can get you access to a DD-1, CC-1, and an AMM-1

Archived