Amp on/off switch

In my next build that I will be starting very soon I'd like to add a switch. I was thinking about going from the amp and mounting the switch on the side of the center console, same as my bass knob just on other side, then running it to the cigarette lighter fuse, so I'd be able to turn the amp off if need be. I'm not exactly sure what kind of switch I would need to do this though and how high of a rating it would need to handle.. I'm sure it doesn't have to be anything special but just making sure. Could someone link me to a switch, please?

Also confused as tho why you need the switch. Will you be using a stock head unit?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Just put any switch on the remote wire. Parts Express has hundreds.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

wouldn't you just turn the headunit off? I don't see the point in doing this

There's reasons for everything. For example: maybe he wants to turn of his front stage amp when he's burping. Wouldn't want to turn off the HU in that case now would you?

OP, Parts Express will take care of you.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

^^ that's the only reason I could see this being useful...... think he is wanting to turn his sub amp off so he can flick a switch and have huge bass. most headunits give you the feature to turn the sub off anyways.

Yea, they do but that takes going into the menu to do it. A switch on the remote wire is an easy and quick way to just kill the amp. I personally turn the remote gain knob all the way down when I listen to my morning radio on the way to work, if I didn't have the gain knob... I'd probably have a switch. The radio show I listen to (Dave &

Jimmy) Dave has a ridiculously low voice, and at times gets annoying with some of the noises that he makes when they're thrown out through the subs.

Archived