Infinitely variable ohm load. Is box rise obsolete?

So I got to thinking..... Autotransformers. You can change the ratio of input to output voltage. You can get them in easy prepackaged units called variacs. You can find them in some nutty high power ratings too. In the hundreds of amps.

So.... Our amplifiers output a/c. You could, in theory, transform this a/c into higher or lower voltages. With this, you could change the load your amp would see and the power output to your speakers accordingly.

Now... Think about this. You burp at a frequency... Do.. Oh I don't know... A 152 but you are rising to 1.9 ohms. So now you tweak your voltage ratio to something like a ~1.5/1. Now you are doing a 154 and you measure .8 ohms reactive.

Or maybe you really want to be crazy. Turn the variac all the way down, turn your radio to where it needs to be and press play. Instead of rolling up with your LC-1 or something, you turn that up all the way too, and instead start to turn up your voltage ratio. All the way up until your amp can't give any more and it pops into protect.

Seems like it would be an interesting idea. A way of essentially wiring as low as possible without protect, but without the constraints of fixed resistance values from your voice coils. And maybe... Go back home with the voltage ratio turned back down so you get your damping factor back. Stuff doesn't have that "wired in the dirt" sound.

Discuss

huh. sounds like someone needs to do this and share results

1997 subaru legacy outback

Four 15's in a almost wall

Rockford Fosgate t2500-1bdcp

Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on tweets
Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on highs
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midrange
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midbass

Optima Yellow top batteries
270A Singer alt (working on a bracket for a second) 
Lots of Second Skin

So would the signal go through the amp, and then the variac?

I looked a little at variacs after your earlier status update, but kinda llost on them.

Also, I am afraid there is a reason this hasn't been done. Lets see what more electrically knowledgeable peeps have to say.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

I posted a similar idea a while back. But it was with just a fixed transformer. Not a variac. The consensus was that it would need to be big

But now that I'm looking at it... You can get some pretty highly rated ones - stuff that will take a 10k that aren't too much bigger than a d3100

The ohm load is a feature of the driver. You cannot change that by varying the input. Like, if the basket is green, using an autobottransformer won't make it red. Do you get what I am saying?

The driver/enclosure/frequency being played determine the ohm load. Not the voltage going through the coil.

Sorry to burst your bubble...

In a list of the uses I found.

Audio

In audio applications, tapped autotransformers are used to adapt speakers to constant-voltage audio distribution systems, and for impedance matching such as between a low-impedance microphone and a high-impedance amplifier input

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Sorry to burst your bubble...

In a list of the uses I found.

Audio

In audio applications, tapped autotransformers are used to adapt speakers to constant-voltage audio distribution systems, and for impedance matching such as between a low-impedance microphone and a high-impedance amplifier input

Consider.... You have an amplifier outputting 50v

Post-transformer output is 75v

You have a load of 2 ohms on the output

Using ohm's law, P=E2/R

75*75/2 = 2812.5w

Since energy is conserved, lets plug that into the amp's voltage to figure out the load it is seeing

R=E2/P

50*50/2812.5 - .889 ohms

Archived