Infinitely variable ohm load. Is box rise obsolete?

No, you can't change your ohm load of the subs. But through what I posted above, you could change the effective load your amp would see. Like the gears on your bike

In for conclusion.

I agree with Orion, you would think that if it worked it would have been done by now.

All this shit is over my head

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

In for conclusion.

I agree with Orion, you would think that if it worked it would have been done by now.

All this shit is over my head

Gotta be careful with that line of thought, or innovation would never happen. Look at what Tony D did with the T15K, went back to the drawing board on how amps are built to push the envelope.

If it sounds crazy, but it works, it ain't crazy.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Well.. I WILL be playing with this. Maybe not going right to my own car, but I have a 5kw variac on order. I have some extra speaker and a small DJ amp laying around. Should be enough to prove or disprove proof of concept before moving on to my own car

Ship time for this is unknown... But pending the small scale testing, I might need to borrow a pair of AMM-1s if some of you would be willing to let me :). One for pre and post transformer readings

Sorry to burst your bubble...

In a list of the uses I found.

Audio

In audio applications, tapped autotransformers are used to adapt speakers to constant-voltage audio distribution systems, and for impedance matching such as between a low-impedance microphone and a high-impedance amplifier input

I think this is talking about tube systems where you're dealing with 7-20W of power and as high as 32 ohm drivers.

You're not going to get "free" power by adding more resistance into your circuit period.

You'll notice that when you play music the frequencies where your amp sees a high impedance don't sound quieter than where it's driving close to nominal impedance... this is because high impedance generally indicates where it's operating more efficiently.

There is no such thing as free power. I agree. However this is not free. It's a means of allowing your amp to put out more current. The rails on it are at a fixed voltage. You might put out 75v before clipping. But imagine you take the transformer and up that voltage. Through ohms law, you would get higher voltage and current on the output side, and an exponential increase in current on the input side, but voltage would remain the same

Think like gears on your bike. You can only peddle so fast. In a fixed gear, you might only say... Be able to go 20mph.. But if you had some gears you could go through, you might be able to ride 30mph. It doesn't get any easier at the peddles. Actually it will get a bit harder, but you can do it because your cadence is within your capabilities. No different for the amp. You are creating scenario where you an "gear" the output so even though you might be rising outside of an amp's capability to do it's maximum output, you can adjust for that.

And now that Im thinking... You might even drastically change your peak with this. With impedance curves, you might peak at a frequency rising to 2 ohms.. But suppose at another frequency you rise to 4 ohms, but only 1.5 db down from your peak. In theory... You could burp at this new frequency, compensate for the box rise, and put up a higher number.

So many possibilities... I'm actually somewhat anxious to test all this out hahaha

I think I understand what you are trying to do, I'm like you, in my mind it seems like it will work. Then again we won't know until you do some testing.

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter