Want my own SPL meter, as cheap as possible, if possible.

AstoSoup

SPL Lab meter is different from the vids that one guy posted from 4SPL. SPL Lab is like a tenth or so off. Regardless which is right, the TL is used in pretty much every major org. so it's the "RIGHT" one.

What a dumbass. If your TL is off more or less it can be calibrated. OP, I competed TNESPL a long time ago (and 2 weeks ago here in MD haha) and they use a TermLab. I would really say for best results, get a TL and practice bass brawlin' that way. You could ask Lee or Jer to help calibrate your TL to as close as possible with theirs seeing that would yield similar results; however a SPLab Meter will work still, just not considered "legal" (unless it's a 1x). At the end of the day, either will work, it just takes practice.

So to be as close to TNE's metering as possible, a Termlab would be my best bet then? You're the first person I have talked to other than my team mate who has ever competed there.... He has won a few times, I would like to place top three in either rookie 2 or bass brawl, hope I have a fighting chance lol. I do have a few questions regarding a few rules in the rookie class, you say I need to contact Lee or Jerry?

Head Unit - Clarion VX709 7" DVD Touchscreen

Mid/Highs - Front Doors - RF Prime 6.5" component mids.

A. Pillars - RF Punch component tweets.
B. Pillars - RF Prime component tweets.
Rear Doors - RF Punch 5.25" mids.
RF Punch 3-way passive X-overs.
Mid/Highs Amp - MB Quart Onyx 360.4, 4 channel, 640W RMS.
Subs - (2) PowerBass 3XL 15, 1000w RMS, 3" flat wound coil, 562oz motor, 10" spider.
Sub Amp - Audiopipe GD6001 @.5ohm, clamped 2825RMS.
Box - 9.6 cu^3 net @35Hz, three 6" aero's.
Charging - Energizer 120Ah AGM under the hood, MaxLife 75Ah in the rear. Big 3, 140A aftermarket alt. (off brand)
Wires - Two JL Audio 2/0ga OFC. runs to rear, 4ga. power/2ga. ground to component amp (OFC), 1/0ga. OFC Knu Konceptz Kolossus Kandy everywhere else.

Yea Lee and Jeremy are the ones to talk to. Bass brawling is about knowing the songs in the CD/USB. With an SPL lab you'll still be able to learn volume control which is the the most important part of the format.

2002 Honda CR-V
Alpine 9887

My Build

Rebuilding...

Second Skin Damp
4 DC XL 15's
2 DC 5ks
Singer 320 amp
6 cap banks
Sky High wire
2 VM-1's
OM-1

all under window line

Team DC Audio

Obama has a law he's trying to pass right now, trying to ban Leo for being a threat to children everywhere.

EDIT: Not in a JP kind of way.

I thought I was going to die from all the jizz filling my ears.

The biggest inaccuracy in the term lab are 1 of 3 things.

~Orgs sometimes not adjusting the k-factor to what the actual mic was tested at (which only really makes a difference if your louder than the k-factor setting which is usually always around 172.X db).

~The pysical cord that gets slammed into the car door time after time gets damage and starts to have static interference which will result in inaccurate numbers (this is something that can happen with any cord).

I just replaced my cat5 cable on my TL just a few weeks ago due to this issue.

~The difference in sea level, humidity, temperature, etc from one location to another across the world. This is something that no meter will self correct for. This is the biggest and most common reason.

To go out on the limb and say the termlab is not accurate and that is the reason these other "cloned" meters have came to market is blatant and biased, since all these other meters ripped off the termlab mic to the fullest.

Now if you want to talk about inaccurate meters, Lets go back to the B&K mic, which was then replaced by the AudioControl units, that got replaced by the termlab.

The thing is however, termlab is still always updating the products software and hardware, you can go buy a bnib AudioControl meter and its the same damn meter as 5 years ago....

Lets not forget, spl labs selling gimmick is "Calibrated according to the TERM-LAB".

Yea Lee and Jeremy are the ones to talk to. Bass brawling is about knowing the songs in the CD/USB. With an SPL lab you'll still be able to learn volume control which is the the most important part of the format.

Alright thanks, will give them a shout! And bass brawlin seems like it's going to be difficult! lol.... Like you say, gotta get that right song/tone and then be able to know where to keep that volume for the even number. I will probably screw it all up my first time trying but maybe if I can scrape enough money up for a meter, I will have some sort of edge!

Head Unit - Clarion VX709 7" DVD Touchscreen

Mid/Highs - Front Doors - RF Prime 6.5" component mids.

A. Pillars - RF Punch component tweets.
B. Pillars - RF Prime component tweets.
Rear Doors - RF Punch 5.25" mids.
RF Punch 3-way passive X-overs.
Mid/Highs Amp - MB Quart Onyx 360.4, 4 channel, 640W RMS.
Subs - (2) PowerBass 3XL 15, 1000w RMS, 3" flat wound coil, 562oz motor, 10" spider.
Sub Amp - Audiopipe GD6001 @.5ohm, clamped 2825RMS.
Box - 9.6 cu^3 net @35Hz, three 6" aero's.
Charging - Energizer 120Ah AGM under the hood, MaxLife 75Ah in the rear. Big 3, 140A aftermarket alt. (off brand)
Wires - Two JL Audio 2/0ga OFC. runs to rear, 4ga. power/2ga. ground to component amp (OFC), 1/0ga. OFC Knu Konceptz Kolossus Kandy everywhere else.

~Orgs sometimes not adjusting the k-factor to what the actual mic was tested at (which only really makes a difference if your louder than the k-factor setting which is usually always around 172.X db).

~The pysical cord that gets slammed into the car door time after time gets damage and starts to have static interference which will result in inaccurate numbers (this is something that can happen with any cord).

~The difference in sea level, humidity, temperature, etc from one location to another across the world. This is something that no meter will self correct for. This is the biggest and most common reason.

To go out on the limb and say the termlab is not accurate and that is the reason these other "cloned" meters have came to market is blatant and biased, since all these other meters ripped off the termlab mic to the fullest.

Now if you want to talk about inaccurate meters, Lets go back to the B&K mic, which was then replaced by the AudioControl units, that got replaced by the termlab.

The thing is however, termlab is still always updating the products software and hardware, you can go buy a bnib AudioControl meter and its the same damn meter as 5 years ago....

Lets not forget, spl labs selling gimmick is "Calibrated according to the TERM-LAB".

No, it's the software. Sampling rate is too slow. That's also what SPL-Lab changed to get it closer to Termlab. 4SPL was made for accurate average SPL measurements and testing equipment. You want to be sure it's the changes you made that changed the score, not the meter. You can see in the posted video that it took many seconds before Termlab even reacted to EMMA ESPL competition track.

Yes, Termlab is the reference in competition circuits but it's not accurate and consistent.

youre right everyone else is wrong we should buy your meter.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

No, it's the software. Sampling rate is too slow. That's also what SPL-Lab changed to get it closer to Termlab. 4SPL was made for accurate average SPL measurements and testing equipment. You want to be sure it's the changes you made that changed the score, not the meter. You can see in the posted video that it took many seconds before Termlab even reacted to EMMA ESPL competition track.

Yes, Termlab is the reference in competition circuits but it's not accurate and consistent.

i have seen plenty of videos that the score stayed the same time and time again consistently with same variables and then they change something and consistently get that number.. so i don't understand where you say the t.l is inconsistent

so has everyone else that whole world finals separate locations thing seems to work out ok as well. nasa sure doesn't seem to mind the termlab either. bottom linr the termlab set the standard. wait til the new termlab comes out and raises.it even further

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Sampling rate can be changed on a Termlab, and always could be, as far as these other clones no idea.

Also, might I add that the video you posted of the 4SPL vs the Term-Lab, the sampling rate is at 1x which is the slowest sampling rate on the Term-Lab....

Termlab was used for EMMA first, and still is used in some EMMA competitions, however since some EMMA judges are using the Term-Lab, while another judge is using a SPL-Labs, and another judge is using 4SPL this competition is a joke due to the difference in the meters that are being used to measure the vehicles alone and very inconsistent scores across the entire EMMA community due to this. That would be like 3 guys competing in DB Drag where the car must have all windows and doors closed with the mic on the windshield, but yet allow some competitors to put the mic in the kick panel with 1 door open, and let other competitors put the mic in the port and than rank these scores as all being equal.. That would be a joke, just like allowing different EMMA judges use their own preference of meters.

Awesome way to sell your product when you name drop the leading product...

fAY74M.jpg

and then they claim to know what the new Term-Lab Magnum is all about and what it can do, and are even already have the technology to do the same thing, but yet they cant beat them to the punch..

Its rather odd since their is no info on what the new Term-Lab Magnum can do and what it offers and the majority of the judges are still in the dark about its new features.....

I guess they just cant beat termlab to the punch since its not out yet and able to be copied again....

FbOyQc.jpg

Archived