Adding a lot of weight to my Tahoe, need big ass brakes and upgrade in suspension

AddAleaf in the rear.

It's coils in the rear. Air bags are the best solution for varying weights at stock ride height. He can use them now and when loaded up with gear. Daystar makes a 3/4" spacer that sits on top of the coils for like $40, but you lose the adjustability. The benefit to those is no maintenance, just install and be done.

As far as big brake kits SSBC seems to have the most cost-effective options right now. Everything from new calipers for use on stock rotors to caliper relocation kits for more leverage like this:

http://ssbrakes.com/i-10092703-rotor-14-rotor-caliper-relocation-kit.html

To full on big brake kits. Call them directly and see what they think.

Now that I think more about the NBS trucks (my current one is an OBS 96) you have the dual piston calipers up front. If you are due to replace your pads and rotors that StopTech kit you linked would get you SS lines, new rotors and pads for about what you could buy those items for as stock replacements. Might be worth it to see how it works for now, you can always upgrade the rest later and you'd be able to reuse the SS lines...

Static drops are my bag.

• 1 month later...

Ss lines help with the efficiency of the master cylinder.

Bigger calipers can give more clamping force and more surface contact on the rotor

Bigger rotors give more surface contact.

Slotted or drilled (even both) in a daily setup would give no benefit. Could actually hurt due to less contact area.

Better master cylinder can increase braking pressure

With this said

For daily use all you really need in this situation would be some nice tires, higher quality rotor, great pads, and anything more is over kill. If going for over kill get a kit that gives you a bigger caliper, rotor and ss lines.

I towed over 700lbs in a 2000 focus zx3 5speed for roughly 400miles. Front brakes consisted of ss lines mustang gt dual piston calipers with 300mm rotors. It did way more then enough to stop that trailer down hill. If that little car with brakes no bigger then the stock brakes on your Tahoe could handle that I'm sure your stock brakes would be fine. A simple upgrade of rotors, pads and tires would be good with the typical safe driving habits most should have.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

I feel for you on those breaks I drive a 97 tahoe and if your brakes are like mine you cant stop for shit with a load behind it . And dont get me started on how many times the abs has almost made me rear end someone geez. Im about to replace my entire brake system by retro fitting a pre abs set up off a pre 94 1500 4x4 ill let you know how it works out

My 05 suburban sags really bad in the back - I need to get on this stuff as well

Wow, someone revived this thread :drink40:

Anyway I finished putting all the weight in my Hoe and she's taking it fine, here's what I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J3AGSU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FKXZJS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No sag and the bags aren't even trying. Brakes do their job, you can definitely feel the extra weight though.

The L@zy Hoe

2005 Chevy Tahoe

2,500 Watts of Highs/Mids

4 10 midrange

4 6.5 midwoofers

4 Tweeters

6 Supertweeters

2 Lithium 80AH Batteries

24K Watts

4 Custom 18s

Quad alt setup Rebuilt 250amp and 3 370s

Interior work by Lone Star Auto Works

The Build Log

Like Loud Bass? Click Here!

On 12/5/2014 at 8:06 PM, juan777 said:

See yall there, I'll be the drunk Mexican with aviators on.

On 12/6/2014 at 10:32 PM, boom50cal said:

I did see Juan LMFAO! He REALLY WAS the drunk mexican with Aviators on!

I have an 05 suburban and my shits low in the back with a wall for just 2 18s and 4 d3100s(subs arent in yet), would like to know what you're going to do here

My 05 suburban sags really bad in the back - I need to get on this stuff as well

Wow, someone revived this thread :drink40:

Anyway I finished putting all the weight in my Hoe and she's taking it fine, here's what I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J3AGSU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FKXZJS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No sag and the bags aren't even trying. Brakes do their job, you can definitely feel the extra weight though.

Yeah I've been putting this off for way too long - I wouldn't be surprised if I have some damage back there.....I think both products you got will be an exact fit on mine as well. Thanks a lot for the links =)

Edit: Actually I don't think they will fit, because I have the autoride...I previously replaced the shocks I had with aftermarket ones and I think I've ruined those too. I just need to get my damn burban to the shop I guess....I hate overpaying them....

97 Suburban

8 custom PSI Platform 3 18's

If someone hasn't already suggested tires. GO with NITTOS. They make the best street/offroad tires for Trucks/SUVS. Plus there price point is excellent.

The stock Calipers on the Tahoe are pretty decent. You would save yourself some cash by replacing the Stock brake lines with steel braided lines, Upgrade to heavy duty pads, and replace all of your bushings...ALL OF THEM, if possible replace the piston rings and keepers on the calipers. Do not get slotted/Drilled rotors as you extremely reduce your overall braking surface. If you do happen to come acroos a decent pair of rotors, you can get away with Slotted for the fronts, but keep the rears rotors Vented only.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I've recently come across a problem that I'm not sure has been addressed yet. I have been out of the game for a few years now, and recently got back into it while building my new ride! (SEMA 2015! WOHOOO!!!) (well...I hope atleast!) anywho, I'm removing the rear bench seat, and in its place, building an enclosure that will come off the back of the center console and fan out to follow about the same line as the existing seat, leaving only a small "hole" behind each seat respectively for the seat to slide back into. The box will be leather wrapped and hand stitched on the top and line-x sprayed everywhere else. It will hold 4 RE XXX 12's Receiving roughly 15k watts of sundown power.(not sure which amps yet or how I want to do it...I just know I want to do it and the money is burning a hole!) So, to get to my issue...is anyone running a good sized setup like this on stretched tires??? The truck will be on 26x14 Forgiato's on 37x13.5 Tuff MT's. The suspension is not in question as it will have 12" of Bulletproof under it on Fox remote reservoir Shocks. My concern is the stretched tire with the added weight of the sound system. It already has the load of a big ass truck on an even bigger suspension and massive wheels and tires, anyone know how well it can handle this weight? I love the look of a stretched mud tire on x14 wides, I'm just a little iffy on 1k lbs+ worth of audio! Any positive input helps guys. I really missed this place! I have a new profile now since I lost my old login info, but I'll try to be a regular around these parts! Haha thanks guys!

Archived