Second Skin Audio

Why not any old sheeted wood for sub boxes?

rambronco

I know its been gone over and over, that there are 2 real choices for sub boxes (Mdf & birch Plywood) my question is why? if enough bracing were added to say regular plywood that the 3 boxes (mdf, birch, & standard plywood) had the same amount of flex would they still sound different? If the answer is yes, why? Different density? If an interior coating was put on (say bedliner as an example) the standard plywood wood it remedy this? would it change the sound of the MDF and Birch also?

Thanks

RB

01 Chevy Silverado X-cab

2 Sundown Z18v4 walled on 2 Lanzar Opti 7k's strapped at 1/2ohm = each amp wired to 1/4ohm. Havent checked impedence rise so not sure what they are actually seeing. 6 group 31AGM's.

2-Eclipse 34230's each one running 2 Eminence 6.5" Beta 6A. These are beastly mids rated at 350w program power. I was skeptical but the eclipse amps are 370w x 2 and when there was 4 mids on 1 amp I could push it into thermal protect within a song so added the 2nd amp. 

Eclipse 4212 running 4 CT sounds Meso tweeters. and 2 DLS ultimate tweeters up high to raise the soundstage.

96' Ford F350 4wd 4d long bed 7.3 diesel with 91k miles. Will be the sound quality rig if I can ever find the time.

Resonances of MDF are almost none existent.

This is getting into acoustics I don't know, but I believe it is along the same line as trying to find the right wood for violins and other instruments.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Properly braced I bet there is no audible difference between the materials you listed. I think the reason you see MDF and birch ply used so much is they hit a really nice spot in the price/performance spectrum.

The issue with cheaper plywoods is usually the surfaces are rougher and can have splits and gaps that make getting an air-tight box more difficult, let alone getting a decent finish. Also cheaper ply often has voids, which can be a giant pain in the ass too.

I've buillt boxes out of OSB, which is actually stiffer than MDF of the same thickness, its just not very pretty. Properly braced it got the job done quite well. These days I like to use Araucoply which is a pine-based plywood. It has been working very well for me.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Properly braced I bet there is no audible difference between the materials you listed. I think the reason you see MDF and birch ply used so much is they hit a really nice spot in the price/performance spectrum.

The issue with cheaper plywoods is usually the surfaces are rougher and can have splits and gaps that make getting an air-tight box more difficult, let alone getting a decent finish. Also cheaper ply often has voids, which can be a giant pain in the ass too.

I've buillt boxes out of OSB, which is actually stiffer than MDF of the same thickness, its just not very pretty. Properly braced it got the job done quite well. These days I like to use Araucoply which is a pine-based plywood. It has been working very well for me.

I'm interested in some pictures if you've got any

Sure thing, I got lots of pictures, what exactly do you want to see?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Sure thing, I got lots of pictures, what exactly do you want to see?

Build pics of some of your boxes out of osb

Here are two subs I built out of OSB, they are both tapped horns.

I only was able to find this picture of this sub, I used 3/4" osb. Due to the nature of the design it is very well braced internally and is very stiff. I tried to make the OSB look decent after I was all done:

IMG_0511_zps1b7f7824.jpg

This sub is for two 8" drivers and is what I use in my shop. I used 7/16" OSB because I had a couple sheets laying around and wanted to see if I could make it work. It is also braced pretty well internally:

2014-01-08172001_zps01e8dd0d.jpg

2014-01-08172008_zpsd7caa4b5.jpg

2014-01-08211136_zpsdb658574.jpg

2014-01-09135503_zps1587c456.jpg

2014-01-09215946_zpsc42c73ce.jpg

2014-01-12134222_zpsad846e6b.jpg

Builds:

higher the woods density the better ay?

Not really, density doesn't do much for you, stiffness is what we are after.

Builds:

Archived