hi was wondering if i was doing something wrong here. i used the dd1 on my head deck, says clean power all the way to max volume. so i set the h/u to max and put the dd1 on my memphis eq/line driver. says clean power all the way to max volume, then i go to the amp and even on no gain it is distorting... amp is a dc 5.0k with solid electrical.

any body else have a similar issue? cheers

DCSig.jpg

TEAM DC AUSTRALIA

13e4c3e0-74af-42b9-8d07-ebbd2b684e14_zps7d713c4c.jpg

Try turning your headunit down a few clicks to see if the distortion on the amplifier goes away.

More than likely without knowing the model numbers of the EQ or Line Driver, you are maxing out the preout voltage beyond your amplifiers needs.

Im sure your headunit puts out about 2volts if its a clarion (just a guess), which is than most likely being boosted up to 4volts from the EQ, which is feeding into the Line driver that is capable of boosting that signal up to 6 to 9+ volts output (depending on its model and if it has an adjustable voltage output).

Now the issue is coming from you having all that preout voltage, and the lowest setting on the amp is about 6volts when the gain is all the way down.

So in order to tune the amp properly you would have to turn the gain to about -3 volts on the amp which you cant do.

Your next option is to turn down the line driver voltage if its adjustable, if its not adjustable you will either have to turn down the subwoofer preout volume on the radio if it has one, or remove the line driver all together.

cheers, though i may have worded that wrong the eq is the line driver as well if that make sense... it probably isnt technically a line driver but anyway i wont dwell on that lol.. but what you are saying makes perfect sense.

this may be a dumb question but would this excess of voltage cause clipping from the amp? as the subs are getting hot and smelly really quickly..

DCSig.jpg

TEAM DC AUSTRALIA

13e4c3e0-74af-42b9-8d07-ebbd2b684e14_zps7d713c4c.jpg

Yes, extra preout voltage will cause the amp to clip if you are not able to turn the gain down to the matching voltage you are feeding it.

So if your sending the amp 8volts, and the lowest the gain can go is 6volts, you are giving it 2 more volts than you should be, which in return is just the same as running your amp with the gain too high.

Also those numbers printed on the side of the amp are never 100% dead on, it could say 6volts when all the way down, but it could actually be 5.5volts or 6.5 volts, etc.

If you have a digital multimeter, unplug the RCA cables from the amp and play the same DD-1 track you used to tune your amp, than measure the voltage from your rca cords. The center pin of the rca is +positive and the outer ring is -negative.

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm reading the instructions correctly the deck should never be able to be used at its max volume. If you were able to turn the volume up to max with the 40HZ test I'm pretty sure the 1kHZ detection light will come on a lot sooner than the max volume.

When I tested my system I was able to reach the max volume (40 on the dial) with the 40HZ test tone. I then played the 1kHZ test tone at it was detected at 22 thus making my max undistorted volume be 31; average of 40 and 22.

Edited by mechanix619

If I'm reading the instructions correctly the deck should never be able to be used at its max volume. If you were able to turn the volume up to max with the 40HZ test I'm pretty sure the 1kHZ detection light will come on a lot sooner than the max volume.

When I tested my system I was able to reach the max volume (40 on the dial) with the 40HZ test tone. I then played the 1kHZ test tone at it was detected at 22 thus making my max undistorted volume be 31; average of 40 and 22.

Incorrect about decks (some) clean at full on both sigs.

They are out there. In fact, is quite comman.

Did this ever get resolved? What was this issue that fixed it? Curious..

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0