Tapping hole in frame - HELP

Getting ready to tap a hole into the frame to ground my front battery and alt.....

The way my frame is designed, I'll be able to screw the bolt in but will not have access to put a nut on the other side so I'm worried that slightly >1/8" metal that I'm tapping won't be secure enough to hold the bolt without the nut.

Any help would be appreciated.

I can post pictures if needed.

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

#anothershittysingerbuild

That means a trip back up to the store.....haha

Thanks man.....might try that if I can't find another spot.

Would it be okay if I grounded to a piece welded to the frame? I have access to both sides and the piece is just as thick as the frame.....

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

Shit, I had this same concern when I grounded to frame. I found some pretty beast self-tap bolts at home depot with hex heads. They're going nowhere.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

A 5/16" thread tap isn't that much money to buy individually from a hardware store. If you only need it for this, no use in buying the whole $400 set. Taps are 4 point, so find a 12 point socket that fits and run it in carefully with a ratchet.

Otherwise we've used something like these for cutting threads and anchoring running boards to frames back in the day:

http://www.thomasnet.com/productsearch/productline/30714345-13353-1037-/wes-bolt-c-e/type-23-thread-cutting-selftapping-screws/

I hate to say how many sets I've done, probably in the thousands before they wised up and made them no-drill. Run it in with a lock washer on it and they won't back out. I've also used a cut off wheel and turned a regular bolt into a thread cutter...look at how the one I linked is designed...make a notch to match. Key is to make the leading (cutting) edge as close to 90 degrees as possible, then taper off the trailing edge. Also buy the correct size drill bit. Visually it'll be slightly larger than the stud of the bolt but smaller than the outer edges of the threads, of course.

Static drops are my bag.

Post 33 and down

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/176467-kylar96s-99-blazer-cnf-ampere-audio-fi-singer-xspower-shca/page-2

also.. i have 4 up front

and 4 more, that is shown in the rear.

Haha Was looking at this earlier when I did a search before I posted. Wish my frame wasn't a tube so I could do what you did.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

Archived