Mitsubishi Galant + 12 12s = ??? Starts at Page 5

Ok ok lol, been working 3 days straight on this and 2 other builds for my tralmates. 2.5 hours of sleep since Friday lol buuuuuut some progress was made on the doors.

Due to my lack of experience in fiberglass work, I turned the reins over to David for these and took the position of Camera boy. 6 DS18 Pro mids, 2 DS18 310 tweeters, 1 DS18 horn.... Per door. Should be decent

Team 2Loud @ Virginia TechTeam NVXXS Power BatteriesDB Designs

Build logs: 
2002 Mitsubishi Galant, 12 NVX 12s, 4th order, Vital Power 700.1, 158.6 dB Kick 
1990 Honda Civic SPL Build, 2 DC LVL 5 Team 15s, 2 Vital Power 700.1s

Follow my builds on Social Media!
Youtube: SolerTuned
Facebook: @2LoudVT
Instagram: @SolerTuned

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so fucking sick jesus christ. cant believe how good its all turning out. hopefully the care can handle what youre about to throw at it because its gonna be sick

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

Some more updates....

We got the car ready for the 2Loud Show in Blacksburg, VA. Didnt really have much time to mess around with testing, just got the doors tuned right, and ran with it.

k88YvAI.jpg

Let me say this...

The doors sound absolutely fantastic. Great  balance between mids and highs, and mid bass that'll shake your clothes from the trunk of the car. The only issue is that, it mayyyyyyy have overpowered the bass a little. Just means im set up nicely for when I up te power.

That being said, I broke windshield #3....

d7IqGnP.jpg\

RhfZxEg.jpg

We thought the roof was braced enough, but evidently it still moves a metric sh!t ton. So back to the drawing board on that one lol. Im thinking Im going to have to go stripper pole... 

Build logs: 

Love the build man.

Do the pole! I added a large brace to my windshield beam and it made a HUGE difference, and I havent even got the pole welded in yet.  I highly recommend reinforcing the beam before adding the pole due to how much difference it made in my build.  

IMG_0412.jpg

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

• 4 weeks later...

Some more updates. With final exams coming up I havent had time to much...

Stripper pole is in! Made a huge difference in the windshield flexing. Successfully made it through the TDH show without breaking a window! (First audio show I've been to that I didnt break a window lmao).

790gZbO.jpg

ad5W9gN.jpg

1 week prior to the TDH show, my Ohio 300amp alt finally gave out. After 1 year and some change of abuse, it burnt up. Im not sure if it was due to the belt slipping, but the belt slippage got way worse towards the end of its life. After breaking 2 belts, it was time to let her go. 

N4fkFUF.jpg

I drove up Thursday before the show to see what we could do. David and I sought out a new plan so I could make it to the TDH show. The plan initially was to put one Mechman 370amp alt up front. I had already deleted power steering and AC to make way for at least 2-3 alts up front, but didnt anticipate having to do that for a little while. 

Sizing up the 370:

N6KSVqp.jpg

After jokingly saying, "There's plenty of room for another alt, we just cant do it in time," David had a "Hold my beer" moment. Sure enough the alt bracket for 2 started.

V5kkfmO.jpg

In 5 hours, the new bracket was built:

4AM3OxL.jpg

Test fitting with the original belt. We used the stock tensioner in between the alts. The belt would need to be about 2 inches longer. Given that it was a 5 rib, we had to order it in. For the time being, I used a 6 rib, cut down to a 5 rib just to get me up to Fredericksburg, where I had ordered a new belt in.

qe69ULp.jpg

I stayed up through the night cutting wires, installing the regulator relays, and painted the bracket. 

Finished product:
qcphNSR.jpg

gcTSSbL.jpg

I plan replacing the fuse block, it got a tad hot and the plexi melted a little. That was me just being a plain idiot lol. And yes, I need to clean up the engine bay. Once I get everything confirmed in its right place and what not, I'll go back through can clean her up. 

Over all though, I was VERY impressed with the 370s. At idle I am holding better voltage than the Ohio. I can demo while at idle and still hold about the 13s. PLUS they're not self exciting, so no more running on battery at stop lights or having to rev up to charge. Under full load and about 2k rpms, I stay steady at 14.2-14.1V. Just means now im gonna have to more power :)

I was very concerned that the car would stall when these are under full load. And I was almost right in my fears. I rev up to about 3k, bass hits, rpms drop to 1k, then slowly creep back up. And thats almost foot to the floor. The poor little 2.4L isnt gonna be too happy when I get that second VP 700.1.

Build logs: 

Cue the TDH show:

XxpRdNn.jpg

Leaving the show, I ended up on a flat tire (not even half a mile from the venue).

7ZOyal6.jpg

MRVoHMO.jpg

Turns out I had cracked a wheel

0Y3wOjG.png

Waited 1 hour for a tow, first tow truck driver shows up and say "no, I cant do that. You're too low." 

Well Sh*t,

1.5 hours next driver shows up, get towed. 

Hopped on craigslist, found a set of stock steelies, met the guy in the afternoon Sunday and just made the last 3 hours of the show. 

This made it the 3rd XXR 521 that I've cracked. After pulling off the rear set, turns out another one was crack, just still held air. So that makes 4 total. They are making it right by replacing the wheels with a different style. But jesus, AAA is the only reason Im not broke from tows lol. 

*note, the first 2 cracked up front, so camber didnt play into those. 

And yes, I know, Im an idiot for running cheap wheels on a heavy bass car. If the new set give me trouble, I'll switch to steelies. I'd rather be loud than look cool lol

Build logs: 

Nice updates man.  Especially that alt bracket.  

Do you mind taking some more shots of where your stripper pole meets the windshield beam and the floor?  I have mine welded up but my pinchseam at the windshield is broken all the way across so I'm looking for ideas to fix it.

EDIT: since you welded a new roof on, i must ask: how did you weld up the pinch seam, and how well does your windshield gasket seal at the pinch seam? 

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2017 at 7:18 PM, SolerTuned said:

We thought the roof was braced enough, but evidently it still moves a metric sh!t ton. So back to the drawing board on that one lol. Im thinking Im going to have to go stripper pole... 

song? 

• 3 weeks later...

Cool build man.  Need to get my vids up, but its hard to imagine how you got 12 12s in here.  It punches hard!  Thanks for the demo.

IMG_1590.jpg

IG @walledsonic

Alright now that the Slamology crunch is over with (I slept a total of 10 hours the week before slam....) and I've had some time to get caught up. UPDATE TIME:

At TDH I managed to rip a hole in the floor of the Galant. To no surprise, it was right where I mounted the stripper pole. After pulling the stripper pole out, I went to give David's girlfriend a demo. In the 30 seconds of play time, shattered another windshield, ripped the roof in 2 places, and shredded an alternator belt.... just peachy. The trans tunnel was super jacked, so we welded in a new mounting plate and added a new mount at the roof. In the process, David welded the cracks in the roof. The new windshield got put in the Wednesday before slam and now all that was left was the interior. (Sorry but I dont have many pics of this install process. Time was short so we worked as much as we could.)

u7BD623.jpg

onlZPwW.jpg

The XXR wheels that were sent did not fit. So I went on a limb and tried out JNC. I went with JNC 034s in 18x9 wrapped in a 225/40. The rears ended up needing a 3mm spacer to clear the shock, but overall the wheels fit really well and look fantastic. They held up great to the rough Ohio and Indiana roads, and so far, I love them. 

lNhinJG.jpg

M5Ap3b1.jpg

mzAPcGk.jpg

oNRBbh0.jpg

FGx7yR2.jpg

Given that the car would be at slam, we decided it was sorta appropriate that it looks as good as it sounds. That being said, we dyed the dash and center console black, reupholstered the carpet to black, wrapped the door panels, and installed LEDs in the box. 

bWOgEa1.jpg

WSRtz0A.jpg

NOIB99P.jpg

eighUj8.jpg

Ygz0zfd.jpg

w4zwpM7.jpg

Overall, this build has come together nice. Im still in the process of trying to get another amp. Im saving my money up to get ahead on some debt (yay college). I hope to have the second vital power in by the end of the summer. I'll keep you guys updated as she progresses. 

Build logs: 

Archived