Second Skin Audio

Best Subwoofer for Classic Rock

zagfuchs

I would like to know what you guys think would be the best sub for listening to only 60's and 70's classic rock. My friend has been struggling for a while trying to get his system to sound how he wants it to. Right now he has 2 Diamond 12's in two individual ported boxes on a Visonik 1800 watt amp. It does a great job of doing the lower bass notes when playing newer music with synthesized bass (like Kid Rock hits very hard), but is very lacking in the punchy bass common in classic rock music (like with the same settings you can hear almost no bass from AC/DC). He has been looking at different subs (he has a limit of about $300-400 for a pair) and possibly upgrading to a Sundown 1500 in the near future. What are your thoughts and suggeestions?

Real helpful ^

What he was trying to say is that it's about the box the sub/s are in vs what sub/s are in the box.

Did he/you build the box they're in now or is it a prefab?

I hate long signatures....

...what the fuck is wrong wiht you you fucking fuckity fuck fuck head...

Mtnbikecrazy55 Feedback

I think you need more midbbass instead of bass

And it's not much about the sub but how you set it up

X2 I've heard that a sealed box is "tighter" easier. Maybe a good place to start? Model the box in WinISD to see the bandwidth..

As for subs, pretty much any size in the proper box will work.

Personally I'd get some decent 10"s

But I've heard 18"s hit double bass notes harder than most 12"s do. In which case to each his own

If you stick with a ported box, box design will have more effect than sub size. I'd suggest keeping box volume small for the given sub size and tune low for a flatter response. Improved midbass speakers will likely help a lot too as others have suggested.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived