Second Skin Audio

sub "popping" at high volume

catch 22

hello SMD community. My name is , Anthony and I am new to the forum, well I been a member for a year or so but this is my first post. I am 23 years old and I am a commercial/sportfishing captain in St. Croix USVI. I just got into car audio about a year ago and ive had 3 different setups SO FAR in my ext cab s10. I been able to find all the information I need, here on the forum. there seems to be a topic for literaly everything so I nevr really felt the need to post until now. I currently have a zv4 15 dual 1 in the back in a 4cube box tuned to 32hz being powered by an alpine mrx-m240. I did the big 3, Xs d975 under the hood and a xs d3400 in the back and stock alt. My zv4 sounds amazing compared to my old subs. I just recently upgraded from 2 kicker l7s.. lol. anyways, when I play full tilt, my sub makes a popping sound and I have no idea why. depending on the song, I can crank it more or less before I hear the popping. it is very annoying because I know the sub can get louder before I start to hear the popping. and gain on the amp is slightly over a quarter, if that helps any. any advise is helpful. thanx

Unfortunately having the gain on the amp at only slightly over a quarter doesn't really mean anything.

When the sub makes the noise, is it only on certain notes? Are they low notes or higher notes? Is the sub moving a lot when it makes the noise?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

it seems to pop on the highs and lows. for example, the max on my hu is 35. e40 muscle cars will start to pop at 32, and jeezy put on will pop at 27. I think the sub moves quite a bit but ive seen vids of them moving a lot more

I would say that incorrect settings would be a good assumption. Find someone local to you with an oscope or DD1 to set your amplifier correctly. Your head unit might go to 35 but could distort a lot sooner than that, and the gain on your amplifier is supposed to match the RCA preout voltage from your head unit. Do a search for setting amp gains correctly and see what you can learn. There's also an SMD tools map on here that you can use to find someone with amplifier tuning tools local to you.

Edit: also, not too sure, but before I got into audio too much, I had a similar issue with stock speakers with a cheap Sony head unit that came with the vehicle when I bought it. My rear speakers would pop when I was at 40/50 on some songs (40 was my distortion point found later by DD1, so I guessed good) but I believe it might have been because I was trying to play frequencies at a lower level than the speakers could handle with no crossover points on the speakers, and the HU EQ turned up to my liking. So if you have your EQ turned up or bass boost or anything like that, turn it flat or off and see if it still does it. I know suggesting incorrect gains isnt always the solution, but unless you have had them correctly set, that would be the first thing to do IMO.

thanx for the advise. I am actually saving up for a dd1. figured it would make my life a lot easier. I am still tryin to figure out how to set up my new alpine hu so I will play with it some more and see what happens

grounding RCAs fixed my popping

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

there are a lot of reasons why sub would pop it could be playing out of tuning it could be dirty audio signal too much power bottoming out it depends on the sound of the pop but anytime your sub pops is not good for that sub do not play it on high Volumes fix the issue

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

644225.jpg

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

hello SMD community. My name is , Anthony and I am new to the forum, well I been a member for a year or so but this is my first post. I am 23 years old and I am a commercial/sportfishing captain in St. Croix USVI. I just got into car audio about a year ago and ive had 3 different setups SO FAR in my ext cab s10. I been able to find all the information I need, here on the forum. there seems to be a topic for literaly everything so I nevr really felt the need to post until now. I currently have a zv4 15 dual 1 in the back in a 4cube box tuned to 32hz being powered by an alpine mrx-m240. I did the big 3, Xs d975 under the hood and a xs d3400 in the back and stock alt. My zv4 sounds amazing compared to my old subs. I just recently upgraded from 2 kicker l7s.. lol. anyways, when I play full tilt, my sub makes a popping sound and I have no idea why. depending on the song, I can crank it more or less before I hear the popping. it is very annoying because I know the sub can get louder before I start to hear the popping. and gain on the amp is slightly over a quarter, if that helps any. any advise is helpful. thanx

2400W RMS on a stock alt doesn't sound too good, get a voltage gauge and see how low your voltage goes when the issue happens.

Archived