Help with 3-way setup.

People say they sound better, but somewhere someone is putting up $10k saying nobody can tell a difference.

So you are implying you do not think there is a difference?

I'm not getting into that argument, I will simply say that I will NEVER run a class D amplifier. Not even on sub bass.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

People say they sound better, but somewhere someone is putting up $10k saying nobody can tell a difference.

So you are implying you do not think there is a difference?

I'm not implying anything, just stating that someone else says you can't tell a difference and put up a bunch of money as a challenge. I don't remember the exact challenge so it may not be applicable to car audio.

I default all SQ questions to Cableguy, he knows far more than I do and I trust him.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

class d has its inherent flaws. Just like any topology. Most people mention distortion or a issue with harmonics. I am not an EE guy so I can't really get technical other then what I have read.

At this point most class d designs are good enough that the distortion figures should be very low depending on the layout. Some use isolation and filters to get around certain issues. Fact is the technology has come a long way.

class A and AB seem to be a little easier to work with and easier to get clean sound out of. But they typically will produce more heat.

this is a laymen summarizing. read up a bit on the subject its interesting. Also be wary of the audio people that will tell you bullshit like silver cables dipped in unicorns blood on top of wooden floor risers make your system sound better, this is not specifically that conversation but it can easily lead there.

I will look into class AB amps! And Cableguy, plz do not think I am trying to start an argument, I am just trying to learn both sides of the story. :)

Anyways, back to the op! lol Any other suggestions for 4" in speakers??

I will look into class AB amps! And Cableguy, plz do not think I am trying to start an argument, I am just trying to learn both sides of the story. :)

Anyways, back to the op! lol Any other suggestions for 4" in speakers??

It's all good brother.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I don't tune at the level that Richard Clark does, don't know anyone personally that comes close even with a couple SQ competitors and judges in my circle. I've been at this a while and have set up and critically listened to many, many A/B tests over the slow winters on the display board and I could never get those results. So I'll humbly continue to buy the best sounding amps and speakers I can afford that require the least amount of manipulation to do so. The parameters of his test that level the playing field are all there to be read.

In other words if one of the world's greatest audio gurus wants you to hear--or not hear something, chances are that is exactly what will happen.

Static drops are my bag.

Archived