Guys who grew up in the 90's will understand this test much more than those who are in their teens today. The US Amps VLX-25 was one of the first amps to put up a serious challenge to Orion and their HCCA amps (specifically the 225 HCCA). The VLX-25 was rated at a measly 12.5w/ch at 4 ohms, meaning you could use 2 of these bad boys in the 50 watt and under competition classes. This amp retailed for $1099 back in 1998 (available 1996-1999), so you had to be serious about the low wattage class to pick up one of these jokers!

This VLX-25 was rated to be stable down to 1/4 ohm in stereo or 1/2 ohm in mono and said to put out 400W with less than 0.006% THD. We measure THD this low, so our Amp Dyno tests will show 1% THD and clipping in the resulting numbers.

I understand those who are accustomed to 5k plus watt amps these days will not be impressed by these results, but those of us who grew up knowing these amps and always wondering what they did, this is an intriguing test.

Hope you enjoy, more "cheater" amp tests coming soon!

See the video in 1080P on YouTube

or embedded below:

See my videos on YouTube http://www.willistonaudio.com  Many tests and demos of OLD and NEW SCHOOL car audio gear!

See cool pics on Instagram @oldschoolstereo

Thats pretty impressive that it didn't go into protect at that low of an impedance.

Car

1991 Honda Accord EX

System I now have and is finally installed!

Pioneer DEH-P7200HD

Digital Designs 3512

Digtal Designs CS 6.5" components

Audioque 2200

DD Audio C5b

Optima Yellow Top

Rockford Fosgate 1/0

Damplifier Pro

Luxury Liner Pro

ddaudiologo.jpg

I'll hAve to check this later. I'm sure I'm not the only one who heard of ridiculous ratings on them and no one really knew just how much power they would do

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Thats pretty impressive that it didn't go into protect at that low of an impedance.

Did they even have an impedance protect circuit?

they were designed to play at those impedances. the VLX-400 was the amp that really got me into this fucking love obsession with car audio.

not that i ever owned one though :(

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Did they even have an impedance protect circuit?

Yes, the amp went into protect at 0.5 ohms mono. I asked the engineer who designed the amp and he said it should handle the reactive (speaker) load at 0.5 mono. He also said the results were accurate, but we all knew the Honey Badger doesn't lie, doesn't take sides, just tells da truf

See my videos on YouTube http://www.willistonaudio.com  Many tests and demos of OLD and NEW SCHOOL car audio gear!

I couldn't wait. I had to watch it not at all like the numbers one who owned them c,aimed they would do. If you ever get an rf 50.1 I'd love to see it on the dyno. I knew a guy who had one that claimed it could do 768 watts at one ohm. I know now that's not possible but I'd still like to see

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I couldn't wait. I had to watch it not at all like the numbers one who owned them c,aimed they would do. If you ever get an rf 50.1 I'd love to see it on the dyno. I knew a guy who had one that claimed it could do 768 watts at one ohm. I know now that's not possible but I'd still like to see

I have a RF Power 50x2 I'm going to test soon, but I've seen the PowerCube numbers and no way it's a 750W plus amp. Don't think the 50.1 is much different, but I've been wrong before...

Archived