Second Skin Audio

hds312's power handling

ditto_

This is my first post here. I have bought two soundqubed hds312 subwoofers rated at 1200 watts rms each. I built a dual chamber dual slot ported box. 2.8 cubes net per chamber and each side tuned to 31.54 hz. I am using a hifonics brz2400.1 at 1 ohm. The subs are dual 4 ohm. The vehicle is a 2006 Kia Sorento with a stock 120 amp alternator and stock battery.

My question is why will these subs only handle at most half the power. Is it my electrical? Is it due to box size? Dont get me wrong here, I absolutely love the subs and they slam hard from 25 to 50 hz which is exactly what I was going for. Before I had 4 kicker comp then 3 kicker comps then 2 jlwo then 2 polk dxi and the two hds312's beat them all easily even at 1/4 on the remote knob. Oh' and the bass boost is all the way down.

Hopefully this is enough info for someone to respond. Already feel like I got a small book going here.

p.s. I have pics and diminsions of the box and a youtube video also. Thanks.

how much port area? how do you know your not clipping the crap out of them?

In short I don't. I been in the audio world for 24 years and adjust by ear. Thats how I have alway done it and never have ever blown a speaker or sub. As far as port area goes im not sure right now. they are 14.5" tall by 2" wide and 24.5" long each. Look at my avatar. That is the box. Thank you for the quick reply. The subs sound great and get loud at even 1/4 power. Enough to float a bottle at the window at 28 hz. I was just wondering if they were really 1200 watts rms or more like 400 as they seem. Maybe they need more break in time. Thanks again.
One more bit of info. I have a Alpine deck with 2 volt preouts. The BBE feature is turned off and the bass is turned all the way down.

What makes you think they don't have as much power handling as advertised? Are they getting stinky or something?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

1200 watts rms each. My amp will do about 2000 rms at its best. I cant even get half the gain before they stop getting louder. Haven't went past half cause I know im just clipping anyway. My head unit is on 25 and it goes to 35 so I still have room their also. I'm not positive but I dont think im even close to 2400 watts at half gain. I guess im going to have to get out the mutimeter and test just to get a ballpark on what im giveing them. On my JLwo setup I could get to half gain before they started to sound like crap. They are 150rms each. Same for my kickers. I figure im probably just getting about half the power the amp will give on my stock electrical. The amp is rated 2400 rms at 14 volts and a 250 amp draw.

Oh' and no stinky :) I haven't pushed them that hard. I figure if they aint getting any louder then stop turning the gain.

Let me say what im thinking before someone get the wrong idea of what I think is going on. The subs don't distort or bottom out. They just stop getting louder. Its like I dont have enough power to get any louder. Like my electrical is topped out and my amp is making all the power it can by the time it at half gain. Does that make since? Is that normal for 2 volt preouts? The subs are great and they sound very good. Im old school set it by ear. I have the know how to multi meter my amp but im almost positive im not getting know where near 2400 watts. Sorry for the second post but my phone kept messing up on editing my ladt one. Thanks again for your time.

When it stops getting louder, the sine wave is starting to clip (the peak flattens). And the amount of time you've been doing this doesn't really matter in my opinion when you're basically guessing what the correct settings are just because your ears tell you so. You could still be introducing distortion into them without knowing it because you're not using tools that allow you to see if the signal is clipping or distorted (i.e. Oscilloscope). You could even be amplifying a clipped signal and not know it.

I have two hds312's D2 on a 3500 wired to 2ohm (2ohm = [email protected]) and averaging 14.2V, im quite sure it's more than just 400 volts they're getting (excluding impedance rise). Hopefully you're open minded to new things (setting gains properly), and can understand the difference between AC and DC, because you can DMM the output of your amp all you want, that won't give you watts out.

If they are new, they could still be loosening up. I just got 2 hdc3 12s and they are EXTREMELY stiff. You could also be tuned lower then what you think. Also, 2v pre outs are not very good. Since the gain needs to match the voltage output of the deck, you should get more out of a deck with a 4v pre out vs 2v. And if you havery no way too set your gain properly, you could very easily be clipping. Not saying you don't know what your doing, but the ear o meter only goes so far.

When it stops getting louder, the sine wave is starting to clip (the peak flattens). And the amount of time you've been doing this doesn't really matter in my opinion when you're basically guessing what the correct settings are just because your ears tell you so. You could still be introducing distortion into them without knowing it because you're not using tools that allow you to see if the signal is clipping or distorted (i.e. Oscilloscope). You could even be amplifying a clipped signal and not know it.

I have two hds312's D2 on a 3500 wired to 2ohm (2ohm = [email protected]) and averaging 14.2V, im quite sure it's more than just 400 volts they're getting (excluding impedance rise). Hopefully you're open minded to new things (setting gains properly), and can understand the difference between AC and DC, because you can DMM the output of your amp all you want, that won't give you watts out.

400VAC?

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Archived