Second Skin Audio

hds312's power handling

ditto_

When it stops getting louder, the sine wave is starting to clip (the peak flattens). And the amount of time you've been doing this doesn't really matter in my opinion when you're basically guessing what the correct settings are just because your ears tell you so. You could still be introducing distortion into them without knowing it because you're not using tools that allow you to see if the signal is clipping or distorted (i.e. Oscilloscope). You could even be amplifying a clipped signal and not know it.

I have two hds312's D2 on a 3500 wired to 2ohm (2ohm = [email protected]) and averaging 14.2V, im quite sure it's more than just 400 volts they're getting (excluding impedance rise). Hopefully you're open minded to new things (setting gains properly), and can understand the difference between AC and DC, because you can DMM the output of your amp all you want, that won't give you watts out.

So you are saying Ac volts times amps does not give any idea what so ever on wattage? Hmm.......

I have been doing this for years and never had a blown sub or any speaker for that matter. It just takes a bit of common since when to say enough is enough on the gain. I know too much gain = clipping and yes the amp is clipping at half gain. My question is why.

Why am I clipping at half gain with 2 volt preouts. No bass boost, bass turned all the way down on the deck and no boost on at all on the deck? The subs sound awesome at just below half gain. Very loud and very clean from 25 hz to 50 hz then they roll off slowly. I designrd the box this way and it works perfectly for me. The thing is that i have cheap subs that are rated at far less watts than the hds312 and they take just as much gain.(up to half). This is where im stumped. I dont get it. Im not bashing the subs cause they have way more output than even my 4 kicker setup and the sub 40 hz is no comparison. I mean these thing might break some stuff on my ride. Maybe i should have made this an amp question instead of a subs question.Or a electrical power question.

By the way I really have been messing with car audio since I was fifteen and I have never been without some kind of after market stereo and subs. Once you go thump you can never go back.

P.s How far up is your gain on that 3500?

2400w amp on a stock battery and alternator... Uhm first off hifonics are power hungry a'f. Even at 1000w's your going to have voltage drop. Upgrade your electrical system before your alternator, battery, & amp go out. Also it clearly says on soundqubed's website to allow a break in period for those subs.. And not to turn them up all the way.

2400w amp on a stock battery and alternator... Uhm first off hifonics are power hungry a'f. Even at 1000w's your going to have voltage drop. Upgrade your electrical system before your alternator, battery, & amp go out. Also it clearly says on soundqubed's website to allow a break in period for those subs.. And not to turn them up all the way.

I agree totally with the break in. I have had them for a week now. All i can say about my alternator is Thank the electrical gods it is still working. Its been a good one cause i have been abusing it for 8 years now. Sure i would like a bad A** alternator but jast cant bring myself to spend nearly as much as my whole system cost. Its a little ruff finding one for a Kia.

Welcome to the best forum on the internet. You are going to get the best advice here and people arent going to suaer coat shit! Just the way we are, dont take it personal we want you to have the best knowledge and system possible.

OK, so the way you have been doing for years is so old school that its time to forget that way and buy a SMD DD-1 to figure out where your HU clips at so you can set your amp gains to match for best performance!

Second, your amp is so so at best! And if you dont have enough battery and alt to feed it that its all a clipped signal IMO.

Third, more system info is needed. Do you have a mids & highs amp drawing power on the system also? HU powering speakers? ECT. What gauge wiring are you using and is it OFC wire?

I run the SQ HDS10's on a RF T1500 @ 1 ohm = 1950 watts(Birth sheet says). I have a SInger 220 amp alt and 4 batterys with a voltage meter on the sytem. 2 Runs of 0 AWG OFC to batts in the back. Big 5 done, blah blah blah. These subs handle 1000 watts rms each easily, My HU doesnt distort, Its a 80-PRS, and gains are set with DD-1. Speakers need break it time. And your vehicle can only get so loud.

Stay tuned for good ideas to fix problem and make a better way to tune your system. DD-1..... Priceless!!!! ($150)

When it stops getting louder, the sine wave is starting to clip (the peak flattens). And the amount of time you've been doing this doesn't really matter in my opinion when you're basically guessing what the correct settings are just because your ears tell you so. You could still be introducing distortion into them without knowing it because you're not using tools that allow you to see if the signal is clipping or distorted (i.e. Oscilloscope). You could even be amplifying a clipped signal and not know it.

I have two hds312's D2 on a 3500 wired to 2ohm (2ohm = [email protected]) and averaging 14.2V, im quite sure it's more than just 400 volts they're getting (excluding impedance rise). Hopefully you're open minded to new things (setting gains properly), and can understand the difference between AC and DC, because you can DMM the output of your amp all you want, that won't give you watts out.

400VAC?

Hahahaha my badd!!!! WATTS! 400 watts. All I do all day on the ship is check voltage voltage voltage resistance voltage voltage. Guess it comes home with me and stays stuck in my mind occasionally.

So you are saying Ac volts times amps does not give any idea what so ever on wattage? Hmm.......

I have been doing this for years and never had a blown sub or any speaker for that matter. It just takes a bit of common since when to say enough is enough on the gain. I know too much gain = clipping and yes the amp is clipping at half gain. My question is why.

Why am I clipping at half gain with 2 volt preouts. No bass boost, bass turned all the way down on the deck and no boost on at all on the deck? The subs sound awesome at just below half gain. Very loud and very clean from 25 hz to 50 hz then they roll off slowly. I designrd the box this way and it works perfectly for me. The thing is that i have cheap subs that are rated at far less watts than the hds312 and they take just as much gain.(up to half). This is where im stumped. I dont get it. Im not bashing the subs cause they have way more output than even my 4 kicker setup and the sub 40 hz is no comparison. I mean these thing might break some stuff on my ride. Maybe i should have made this an amp question instead of a subs question.Or a electrical power question.

By the way I really have been messing with car audio since I was fifteen and I have never been without some kind of after market stereo and subs. Once you go thump you can never go back.

P.s How far up is your gain on that 3500?

My gain on my 3500 is over halfway. I have 5V preouts from my 80-prs, set with DD-1 @ -5dB. It confused me so I kept doing it and getting the same setting, so no distortion until well over half. And once the distortion light comes on, the amp gives a loud hum.

AC volts times amps = VA. To get wattage, you need to know the power factor, and that's the extent of my knowledge towards that. Check out this thread for some help. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/171708-fact-and-science-have-no-place-in-car-audio/

As for your clipping, use that DMM to read your voltage at the amps power input and see how much it drops. The way I understand it, as your voltage drops, it clips the signal when you have your gains set at lets say 14.4V

I agree totally with the break in. I have had them for a week now. All i can say about my alternator is Thank the electrical gods it is still working. Its been a good one cause i have been abusing it for 8 years now. Sure i would like a bad A** alternator but jast cant bring myself to spend nearly as much as my whole system cost. Its a little ruff finding one for a Kia.

Well if cost of proper equipment and install is your worry than forget what most peoples advice will be. This is not a cheap hobby but you can still do things right on a budget. Maybe some has a DD-1 in your area that will tune your system for you for $25 unless thats to much for you.

Good Luck.

Welcome to the best forum on the internet. You are going to get the best advice here and people arent going to suaer coat shit! Just the way we are, dont take it personal we want you to have the best knowledge and system possible.

OK, so the way you have been doing for years is so old school that its time to forget that way and buy a SMD DD-1 to figure out where your HU clips at so you can set your amp gains to match for best performance!

Second, your amp is so so at best! And if you dont have enough battery and alt to feed it that its all a clipped signal IMO.

Third, more system info is needed. Do you have a mids & highs amp drawing power on the system also? HU powering speakers? ECT. What gauge wiring are you using and is it OFC wire?

I run the SQ HDS10's on a RF T1500 @ 1 ohm = 1950 watts(Birth sheet says). I have a SInger 220 amp alt and 4 batterys with a voltage meter on the sytem. 2 Runs of 0 AWG OFC to batts in the back. Big 5 done, blah blah blah. These subs handle 1000 watts rms each easily, My HU doesnt distort, Its a 80-PRS, and gains are set with DD-1. Speakers need break it time. And your vehicle can only get so loud.

Stay tuned for good ideas to fix problem and make a better way to tune your system. DD-1..... Priceless!!!! ($150)

I would love to have a DD-1 and see one in my future. On the other hand i have pretty much came to a conclusion that I just dont have the power to feed my amp and so the amp cant feed the subs without clipping past 1/4 gain. I do not agree with you on the brz2400.1 being soso at best. It will do around 2100 rms at 13 volts and for the money it is a great amp. The build quality is not the best but it is good and not soso. As far as it being power hungry, well yes of course it is. Its over 2000 watts. I have had other amps less than 1000 rms drain my head lights far worse. I have been using it for 4 years.

I have been reading on this forum for i guess about a year now and I do agree that their is a lot of very knowlegeable people here.

I have all stock electrical. No big 3 anything.

I have 0 awg power wire from battery to amp and amp to ground. Grounded to frame.

Alpine deck. 9860 or something. Its 8 years old but i like it.

Hifonics Brz2400.1D

Polk 6.5" 60 watts rms 2 way in front doors and rear doors, stock tweeters in door also ran off deck power. Been using for 8 years.

2 hds312's in home made box tuned to 31.54 hz. Dual camber, dual ports 2.8 net per chamber. Box design from torres and winisd.

Thanks for the warm welcome and i expect I will be here often because im always doing something for someone or myself in audio.

http://youtu.be/sJWjozCL8PM?list=UUPN0SVSLId7k8MMrM-8KRjw

http://youtu.be/qf6G-TLNbMo?list=UUPN0SVSLId7k8MMrM-8KRjw

Yes of souese i would pay 25$ for someone to dd-1 my sheeot. :) Dont think they got one at Best buy though and Im pretty sure they would want my arm or leg to help out.

I went in their and talk to the install guys one time a while back and they were pretty much treated me like a dummy. Havnt been back since. Not many option around here. You would think thier would be in Knoxville Tn. but no.

Going to bed. Drank many beers beers beers. Good talking to you all.

Archived