Which Sub In This Scenario?

Ok so I build 2 different subs in my garage, both are the same size, both have a 3" coil, given the different T/S parameters, which will play louder on music at say 1k-1.5K from low 30’s to high 40’s in a ported enclosure?

If I left out anything relevant let me know.

Sub A.

RE (ohms) 4.0

FS (Hz) 32.4

Vas (L) 109.1

Qes .63

Qms 5.97

Qts .57

Le (mH) 2.35

BL (NA) 23.9

Mms (Grams) 440.7

Cms (uM/N) 50

Sens (1w/1m) 89.6

xmax 19mm

Sub B.

RE (ohms) 3.6

FS (Hz) 30.4

Vas (L) 185.6

Qes .718

Qms 8.32

Qts .661

Le (mH) 3.5

BL (NA) 17.2

Mms (Grams) 305

Cms (uM/N) 90

Sens (1w/1m) 90.4

xmax 23mm

• 3 weeks later...

I also think sub b, not only does it have higher sensitivity and xmax it has a lighter moving mass as well.

The only way to know for sure would be to try them both and find out or model them which may or may not be accurate.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I want to say B because of the xmax and lower impedance but A has more motor force and don't these parameters also change once power is applied?

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

It has more motor force yes but it also more moving mass and higher resistance so more motor force might not even make up for those things.

I may be way off because I don't know very much about sub specs but I'm just guessing from what I do know.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

• 4 weeks later...

I know the post is a bit old but...

If I assume say 15 cu ft of space to put the box then...

Vented 10cu ft and 25hz tune

Sub A

Peaky around tuning frequency likely to be ever so slightly louder @ tune but a little gutless around the 30-50hz range

Sub B

Should sound pretty nice, not peaky at all and would do real nice in that 30-50 range.

4th Order

Imo both these subs would really shine in a 4th order

Say both are in a 10 sealed 5 ported setup Tuned at 40/45hz A/B

B would go lower a bit better but both would hit pretty hard around where you want.

6th Order

The best config of anything would most likely be Sub B in a series tuned 6th.

6 low and 8 high cubic feet

tuned at 30 and 50hz

should give you nice bandwidth from 20-80hz and be very strong in the 30-50 range

Sub A seems a bit lackluster in most conditions but it does seem to do well in small enclosures competitively. Probably due to its stronger motor.

Edit: Sorry for the sprawling post, i get carried away and lost in my own head.

If you leave it till the last minute, it will only take a minute.

Build Log - 4x12's Trunk Firing 6th

Thank you for the input guys, man, I just now seen that anybody replied to this. For some reason it never showed up in my content.

Archived