Mute or Steady Roll Up when metering?

tboorn

Just as the title says. What do you guys think is the better option when it comes to "proper", or at least optimal, burping.

Is it better to have your volume all the way up then mute the stereo, start the track while still muted, then unmute and go strait into full power instantly. Or start on low volume and gradually "roll up" the volume until you reach max volume.

Theres a few different factors that really come onto mind more than others with this problem which is why im looking to see what others input/thoughts are.

1.Potential affect on woofers from going 0-100% instantly, could it cause unwanted movement or loss of cone/coil control, or any other damage? i know the amp should be producing the same sine wave regardless its just the act of being non-motionless to full motion in an instant for the sub that i think of.

2.I feel like when muting you would see better use of the batteries since they would remain fully charged and then quickly release, rather than potentially losing some amount of charge in the volume roll up process.

3.Could going from 0-full tilt instantly have some negative affect on the amplifier itself, with the sudden change in amperage draw.

There are others but thats mainly what i was thinking about when i was doing some testing back to back to back on the term lab while working on my 4runner. I have a general grasp on the understanding of how all of the components work in the system im just looking to see if people have any actual real world application type advice that theyve actually noticed. Thanks!

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

For burps, one click under full volume, paused. BURP, pause. Turn up one click, BURP, pause. Turn up to light clip, BURP. Time over.

I don't Bassrace, but I assume you would want to know your song and volume level and roll to it so you don't go over. Practice, practice, practice.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

For burps, one click under full volume, paused. BURP, pause. Turn up one click, BURP, pause. Turn up to light clip, BURP. Time over.

I don't Bassrace, but I assume you would want to know your song and volume level and roll to it so you don't go over. Practice, practice, practice.

It ALL comes to knowing your gear and your build.

Bass race, you have to lean in. There is more of a art to BR. You best know the song your playing.. when to start.. and how much to go, and when.

For burps..... after testing balls to bones, and knowing... i go full, on the clicks and on the knob, using the pause button. (ive just posted better, going direct, and not "ramping up" ) I want MAX voltage/amperage at the ONE 2 seconds the meter will post.

Sure, it was only .2's or so.. but..........

You must know your build/gear... above all.

I play full volume on HU with LC-1 all the way down, then very quickly to max.

The pause play method is generally fine, if you are wired stupid low you sometimes have to roll into it so the amps dont protect, like my teammate who had a zero1 @ .125

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

I play full volume on HU with LC-1 all the way down, then very quickly to max.

The pause play method is generally fine, if you are wired stupid low you sometimes have to roll into it so the amps dont protect, like my teammate who had a zero1 @ .125

I see exactly what your saying. And know the "same peeps"...

And a wicked FAST roll in.. is damn the same as a "un pause".

I will say.... i have "metered" higher, Going at max, and " letting it eat".

That said.... a milli second knob turn..... ... id expect would net you all but the same......

I know some that will "up it (gain, or something)" and Roll into it, .. and post a higher score 2-3 seconds in.

Im with ya..... Fact is... KNOW what your gear likes, KNOW what you can do,.. and KNOW what will help or hurt you.

That easy...... and for that, time, testing (and money.... liking having a TL or SPL meter) is key.

If your SERIOUSLY into it. And i dont mean "serious" about competing.. but SERIOUS about WHAT THE FUCK YOUR DOING TO YOUR RIG...

There are those that build, those that build to compete, .. Those that ONLY build to compete. Those that compete to build. So on and so on.

That said.... I LOVE to know (compete or not) where im at, and if what i want is being "made".

Set your gains with a DMM, or, another way. Im not totally anal about my shit, but, there is INFO out there, I WANT TO KNOW...

end rant.

Great replies, seems to reinforce what i was already thinking which is what i was hoping for. Definitely have to know your stuff and i try to keep all variables as low as possible. Thanks for the .02 cents!

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

If your amps are wired down pretty low, pause burping doesnt always work.

Sometimes you have to slowly roll the volume up to keep your amps from going into protect.

And thank god if your amp is built with great protection circuitry! if not... well, you get the idea. I roll into it all the time just to be safe lol

My Build Log- T E A M S U N D O W N A U D I O -

2013 DbDrag WF SS1-2 - 5th Place 154.6db

2013 MECA Mod3 CA State Final Champ 153.4db