Second Skin Audio

Having to little or to much port area effects the box and subs how?

JEFFYBOI

Just looking to get educated on how port area overall can effect the subs and box on a larger scale. I know a little bit but this is a topic i would like to learn more about if anyone has any info they wanna throw my way. Thanks

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

HOOD. NSB GROUP48 TRUNK SMS AGM400

DUAL RUNS X SCORP 1/0 OFC

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

what sub?

how much power?

I was asking in general but lets use my setup for instance. Dude messed up bad on my port. I am running 2 crossfire 18s. dual 1s on 2 soundstream 3 ks gain matched. Box is about 9 cb net and he only gave me 60 square inches of port area. Like way to small i should be between 108-144 square inches for my net air space. Being my port area is way to small how is this effecting my subs? Same thing if i went on the high end of port area how does that work?

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

HOOD. NSB GROUP48 TRUNK SMS AGM400

DUAL RUNS X SCORP 1/0 OFC

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

too little port area can "choke" the woofers. potentially make them heat up more then normal because they are fighting to get air in and out of the enclosure. which could have a drastic impact on bandwidth and output.

too much could cause the woofers to unload, and potentially bottom out because there is not enough back pressure behind the cone. too much port could also potentially make the enclosure very peaky with a narrow bandwidth also.

too little port area can "choke" the woofers. potentially make them heat up more then normal because they are fighting to get air in and out of the enclosure. which could have a drastic impact on bandwidth and output.

too much could cause the woofers to unload, and potentially bottom out because there is not enough back pressure behind the cone. too much port could also potentially make the enclosure very peaky with a narrow bandwidth also.

If you know this from your own tests, I would be nice of you if you shared the results of those tests, if you heard this from somewhere else I would invite you to prove to yourself by doing some test of your own and see if really works that way.

+1 to what JoeX said

When your port is too small it makes your box start acting like a leaky sealed box. Around tuning output will drop, excursion will increase (contrary to what some people may think) and impedance will rise. This impedance rise will result in less power going into your sub/s.

When the port is too big it will NOT make the output peaky. If it's big enough though it will basically stop acting like a port and you sub is going to behave like it's in free air. The port has to be WAY too big for that to happen though.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived