opinions on 6x8 conversion.

Go-N-Def

I have a ford (explorer). Everyone suggest go 6.5 which is fine with me but, I want a component set which means I can't put tweeter and mid in the same hole but, I could with a 5 1/4. I'd like to keep things simple and functional being this is a family vehicle. My family fucks up everything, so doing pods and glass won't last.

I thinking buying 2 sets of components and putting 1 tweeter and mid up front and just mids in back, I'm concerned about the load up front being different from the back and having more or less power and causing problems.

I'm wondering if someone makes components with coaxial configuration. I am open to suggestions I didn't want to spend more than 160 per set.

Yo dog i heard you like boxes. so i put a box inside a box so you can bass while you FAIL

If you want to keep it simple, just get some 6x8 coaxs and be done. JL, JBL, Kicker, they all sound good if you want an easy upgrade from stock. The first upgrade I did in my Mustang was a $30 pair of Pioneer 6x8s. Sounded great compared to factory.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

I agree with Stang. Factory radio won't do so well I think with $160 set of components. I think either go with something cheaper and add a cheap amp to the fronts or just go with cheaper all around. I think for your price range and running off factory deck get some Infinity Refernece 6"x9" 6032cf. You should be able to make them fit with little effort and they are like $65 a pair off amazon. Just put 2 pairs in a buddy's pickup of the 6.5" off an aftermarket deck and I was surprised how well they did. For the price, and they have a high sensitivity so it doesn't take much power. Also Crutchfield was having a sale on Sound Ordinance components from $99 to $59 for 6.5" and I think the adapters are included. The only negatives I could see was I have never heard them and the crossovers are quite beefy. Hope that helps. But I've heard nothing but good things about JBL also. Amps and speakers. But I really think drop the budget on rear speakers and maybe add a $70-90 2 channel for the front. You will be happy.

I don't have a stock headunit and I will be using an amp soon. The hybrid style is what I'm looking for but cost to much.

Yo dog i heard you like boxes. so i put a box inside a box so you can bass while you FAIL

What company's make good sounding coaxials? I really like the crescendo cz sound looking for similar.

I did a budget build in my brothers ranger and put RF Punch 6x8s in the doors and behind the seats off a Pioneer APP radio & punch PBR300x4. Sounded great, doors deadened and sealed off good. Very surprisingly good sound from the whole system for under 1K.

So it can be done and still sound good.

RangerRFBuild011_zps7dab56d4.jpg

RangerRFBuild008_zpsf0351505.jpg

RangerRFBuild021_zps1197bf67.jpg

I already had the rockford 6x8 I didn't like the sound. Then I installed them in my father-in-laws ranger with old Sony h/u and it sounded better then mine.

Archived