How Many Tweeters In Center Channel...

ptcary

I already have a prefab Pioneer center channel in my PT, but since I am upgrading to a poor mans 3-way component set up front, Kicker SSMB6 midbasses in the doors, Peerless/Vifa TG9 mids and Dayton tweeters in custom sail panels, JL Audio passive crossovers.

I thought I might as well replace the center channel speaker too.

I ordered a Peerless midrange and 2 pairs of Dayton tweeters. First pair is going with my 3 way set, and the last two are for the center channel, maybe....

Now, I have seen cars with center channels that use 2 tweeters and one mid, and those that use one mid and one tweeter, but I have never had the chance to really sit in them and listen/compare.

Should I run the center channel with 2 tweeters or one????

(Keep in mind, that I have a pro installer friend, so I will have access to an RTA for tuning when all is done, but this is not a competition car). Its a multimedia setup with playstation and dvd playback, but I want a powerful front stage to keep up with the 4 12"s in the back :D

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

what im gonna get for my car is a alpine single din center channel....i heard it gets loud...just not to sure about something that small getting decently loud

it has 2 small tweets, thats all i could see from the pix

My F-150 Build

GET ON THE BANDWAGON

loganberry44.gif

DSC01482-1-1.jpg

what if they tried messing with the amps when the subs werent louder :ehh: hahah jk :pardon:

You can do either one tweeter or two.

It would depend on how your soundstage is..... Does it require 2 tweeters?

Try one for now and see if it needs 2.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

For SQ or for THX are similiar but, getting loud is not the point.

For SQ you want it to complete the front stage, The front left and right should carry majority of the sound level.

THX or Home Theatre about 80% of your sound comes frm the center channel. In this application it makes sense.

Now getting back to what the thread is about. Its is personal preference at this point. You looking for SQ or surround Sound? Personally I'd do two tweeters if your gonna stay where the Kenwood is mounted. The Alpine unit is similiar. Now if you gonna go custom and move the center channel to on top off the dash they mount the tweeter dead center of the mid like a coaxial and use only one. imo

You can do either one tweeter or two.

It would depend on how your soundstage is..... Does it require 2 tweeters?

Try one for now and see if it needs 2.

sorry kingsuv i though i was sending a pm. my badd

----reference's----

meade916

sorry kingsuv i though i was sending a pm. my badd

No prob ;)

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

what im gonna get for my car is a alpine single din center channel....i heard it gets loud...just not to sure about something that small getting decently loud

it has 2 small tweets, thats all i could see from the pix

Thanks, I saw the Alpine one when I bought my Pioneer, the pioneer one is a pod about the size of your hand, people think its a radar detector! ...and has a single 2.25" speaker in it. ~$60.

**This pic has a reflection in it, the only speaker is facing straight up....

Posted Image

For me it really improved my soundstage, but it is more of a filler between left and right, vs being louder than the components. Also being that it is visible sitting on the dashtop, listeners are going to specifically listen for it because they see it. With the alpine, it could be hidden in the dash and not seen.

I think I am going to go with two tweeters solely because I am a fan of very detailed symbal sounds, and the mid is a 5.5". I guess I will wire them series to keep them from getting to loud.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

• 1 year later...

You say multi-media and Playstation, then I will assume 5.1

the bigger the better for the center. you will need to let it play low also... Dolby requires all 5 speakers to play 20-20k hz, now to get it to play like that in a vehicle is rough because of space considerations, so to get it to play really low is not going to happen 99% of the time.

further position is a factor and matching the speakers with what you already have is a big concern also, as the center channel is a very big part of any 5.1 system, but it uses the mains also... so try to keep them the same as the mains as it could toss the timber/tone off, especially in a well recorded movie/music video. for instance a plane flying left to right should sound the same ( for internet purposes going left > center > right the plane should sound the same in all as it goes by eeeeeee eeeeeee eeeeeeee... not eeeeeeeee iiiiiiiiiiiiiii eeeeeeeeeeee )

I cut up a few $500 plus speakers for a center channel, such as a Phoenix Gold Titanium Elite 5" which is a Morel and added the tweeter in the center where the dust cap once was for a coaxial mount... great results... it is in this pic

phoca_thumb_l_DSC02489.jpg

also I just did a Porsche for a 5.1 system that I used the Hertz HL70, I had my reservations about the new HL70 because last years model was just super bright, this speaker is phenomenal this year! 2.75" plays down to 200hz, and handles what ever you toss at it... Put it this way, this was for one of Robert woods's (Telarc) friends.... so it was more than critical for everything to be perfect. I highly recommend it and doubt that anything can come close to it in the same size

Oh yeah I cut it in on a new 2010 Porsche 911 :)

phoca_thumb_l_DSC07814.JPG

phoca_thumb_l_DSC07817.JPG

SMD SuperSeller VerifiedJbondoXJames Shields

looks fantastic Jim.

as always.

so you like the new hl70???

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Archived