Sonic Electronix

Can you tell the difference?

saw this on Diyma, thought i'd post it here

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

only got 2 out of 6 right, but computer i'm on has shit for audio. Imma try it again once i get back to my normal setup

I kept guessing 320 mp3. i guess i'm accustomed to it so it sounds better

You will tend to guess more towards what you listen to more of as you come to think of that as sounding better.

I've tested it with myself a few times and I'll listen to FLAC for a week and get 5-6/6 correct or I'll listen to pandora in my truck for a week and I'll start guess those to be better.

I'm not sure what to think of it, but I'm still siding with higher quality files sound better. I do, however, need to get my receiver fixed for my home system to give it a real go and try to get them right.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

They are almost all horrible selections for testing this kind of thing.

Jay-Z for sound quality? Really?

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

i got 5/6..... but i cheated... my roommates poopy router has issues sending the signal upstairs, so the .wav sample has to buffer where as the mp3's dont. figured that out after the first one. but my laptop speakers definitely suck because i could hear no difference. I dont have any SQ headphones to try though.

Honesty, most people wont be able to hear the differen between 320 and uncompressed. Probably due to the shitty recording quality by a few of thoses samples and the fact that most of them have very little dynamic range. Not to mention that the test is flawed becasue it all depened on you internet speed.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

5/6 using a 2.1 Harman Kardon setup. And the one I missed I selected 320kbps. Honestly, I felt I could pick out the 128kbps one fairly easily. I think I got lucky quite bit picking between 320 and uncompressed. Extremely close. The Neil Young song was tough. Sounded like a shitty studio recording in the beginning, but the last ~8 seconds gives it away.

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

Archived