Did this cop take proper procedure?

So I received a ticket for expired plates (that's another story) today and I feel that it wasn't handled right but wanted to run it past some of the most experienced with the law here first to see if I even have an argument.

So I leave my dad's house and get on a state route for less than a half mile before I turned into work (takes me a minute to get to work). On that half mile stretch a local cop was sitting in another business. So I pull into work, and back into my spot as usual. I notice that the cop also pulls into my work place as well (with no lights or sirens on). (Not an uncommon thing as they usually make rounds around our large parking lot.) I open my door and roll up the windows (windows were down the whole time as I have illegal tint on the front.) Once that was done I grabbed my lunch, locked my car and walked to the front doors of the business to get in as it was still locked. Through that whole time period the cop had went to one end of the parking lot, turned around, went back the the original entrance he (I also) entered. He then drove and stopped in front of the business.

He got out of his cruiser and walked up to the front doors and knocked on the door as they were still locked. (There is a pop machine between the two sets of doors and he wasn't able to see me.) So I figured damn it, he's probably after me and my tint. I walk around the machine and say hey what's up? (By this time one of my bosses unlocked my door and had it open to listen as the cop could't see them around the pop machine.) He tells me that my license plates are expired. I have a dumbfounded expression because I always keep up on that stuff, even if I forget to put the tag on it. He then tells me that he's seen my car MULTIPLE times and couldn't write the ticket because it was parked. (I assume he saw it at work.) I say okay but I know I paid the BMV. He says it was expired last august and asked for licence and proof of insurance. I grab my licence and go to grab my insurance but I had 3 outdated ones without the most current one. I tell him sorry I left the most recent copy in my room. He bluntly says that doesn't do you any good and walks off to his cruiser. He's there for at least 10, probably 15 minutes. Meantime I'm supposed to be clocked in and starting to open everything up. (My boss is freaking awesome and clocked me in once he saw how this was going to go). Cop comes back and gives me the ticket, says I need to go to court, etc.

The guy was an arrogant dickhead. Even both of my bosses who overheard everything said that he was being a dick about everything. (I didn't notice too much because I was still confused how my tags were expired)

So my main questions are:

Can he ticket me for that when I am 50ft away from my car and on private property?

Would it be in their code of ethics to put a warning on my car that my licence plate is expired if he saw my car MULTIPLE times before?

Is there anything else that should be brought regarding this situation?

I'm not even mad about the 100$ ticket, just irritated about how the whole thing went.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Not a moving violation so you can get THAT ticket outside of your car and away from it.

As long as you have proper tags and proof of insurance for the time he gave you the ticket just show the judge everything was taken care of and everything was in order just that you simply forgot to place the tag on your plate and the judge should dismiss the case.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

I would say yes, he can ticket you for something like this as he saw you driving and yes he can come onto private property, but cannot enter the building (though I'm sure your boss would have let him).

No. Don't expect a warning on your car. That would be above and beyond nice. Seriously.

While you can obviously feel puzzled how your tag is expired if you paid the fee..... did you put the sticker on the plate? If not, that's your fault. If you claim you never got it, then you should have been raising a fuss with the DMV before the tag actually expired. And if he's seen it multiple times, it's more than 2-3 days out....

Though he may have been being an asshole, keep on top of your shit and you won't have to worry about it.

EDIT: As was said, if you truly are current on everything, most every Judge will throw everything out.

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

Thanks guys! Just needed some solid info. Makes sense because it wasn't a moving violation.

I really am not sure what is up with my tags. Normally I forget to just throw them on there once I get them in the mail. According to him it wasn't even in the computer that I paid. Once I pay I normally don't worry about anything until next year (about this time)

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

He witnessed him driving so he was fair game.

You can't pull onto private property and think a cop can't get you it doesn't work like that.

Still seems like the cop was being an asshole either way.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I didn't even realize he was after me until he walked up to the door of the business. He had the chance to stop me as I got out of my car when he drove his cruiser infront of me.

He witnessed him driving so he was fair game.

You can't pull onto private property and think a cop can't get you it doesn't work like that.

Still seems like the cop was being an asshole either way.

I never said he pulled in the property like it was a safe spot. But this wasn't a traffic stop either.

Archived