Second Skin Audio

When I push on my sub it makes a grinding-ish feel/noise?

LoweredA34

I have 2 ct sound strato 10s in a box tuned at 34 hz with recommended airspace for both.

Powered by a Crescendo s1500.1 on 1/0 OFC skyhigh wire @ 1 ohm.

Only one of the subwoofers does this, and it's the one on the left farthest away from the port -- which is located on the right.

When I push slightly on the woofer (downward obviously) I can feel something inside grinding like metal on metal. And when I play certain low frequency bass songs I think I smell voice coil? I'm not sure, but the smell lingers for quite a bit after I stop playing. The other woofer does not do this when I push down.

I'm 100% certain my gain is not set to the output of my headunit or however that stuff works. I don't have loudness or bassboost on (neither H/U or amp).

My gain is rotated to the right just shy of 3/4 of the way to maximum, bass boost zero, subsonic is somewhere about 25-27, and the lowpass is at the bottom at 40hz, because honestly idk how that works.

Any ideas? thanks

Step one: turn gain down and set it properly.

Step two, remove problematic subwoofer and make sure each voice coil reads the ohm load it's supposed to be. If it still makes the grinding noise when pushed upon while in free-air, coil rub it is

yeah i would take the sub out of the box to see if the coils look damaged at all. and to check the coils to see if they read the correct ohms.

and as for the lowpass filter, you set that to the frequency that you want the subwoofer to play up to. I normally have mine set around 100hz

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

almost every woofer will make a grinding noise if you push on the cone off center and make the coil rock to one side of the gap or the other.

but almost 3//4 gain. woozers, his headunit must have 0.50 volts preouts.

So if my headunit has 4v preout, where should my gain be? ( Ballpark estimate, I don't own a DD-1)

yeah i would take the sub out of the box to see if the coils look damaged at all. and to check the coils to see if they read the correct ohms.

and as for the lowpass filter, you set that to the frequency that you want the subwoofer to play up to. I normally have mine set around 100hz

Thank you for clarifying that. Wow, I can't wait to test the differences lol!

Edit: I tested the Ohm load the coils were at before I ever installed the woofers the first time, I made sure to do that. They were at 1 Ohm.

It still depends on the max volts the amp takes. It's hard to give a ballpark figure because one amp is rated from 6v-.02 and another one is rated 5v-.02. Both of them will have their gain setting at a different level on the knob. You definitely shouldn't be 3/4 on any amp with a 4 volt preout.

Archived