Second Skin Audio

ultimate confusion, mixed answers, not sure what to do

holtzer1

ok, ive gotten a bunch of different suggestions from different people. so here i am at the source, looking for some kind of answer.

some may have seen my other post about the kids system, but anyway...im trying to figure out the best enclosure for what we are after in the big scheme of things.

the ride: 2004 jeep grand cherokee

the electric: big 3, all 0g, monster rca's, extra rear mounted battery (soon to upgrade to 160 amp alt)

the current sub set up: 2 american bass xfl 15s wired down to 1 ohm, hifonics zeus 2400.1

on order: american bass 175.1 to replace the hifonics amp

ive been told so many different things and im not sure which way to go. the kid buys his own equipment, i just help him find the best prices and stuff...so hes on a 16yr olds budget..

currently the enclosure is 6.5 cft with a 3" tall, 32" wide, 15" deep port (box built by local audio company)

it maxed out at 143.5 at the windshield, and i was told by a few that looked at it that a smaller enclosure would yield bigger numbers.

looking at most of the cars at the comp...they had small enclosures, actually this was the largest box there for 2 speakers.

so, while i keep hearing the word smaller, nobody has any idea what size to build to, no port dimensions etc. while i can build a box, im no designer. so, i call Bob at american bass today and was told to use the spl12 box specs on his website....which is for 2 12's, and i told him we were running 15s, ive called a couple times inquiring about equipment and he always seems like hes not interested in answering any questions...which is kind of turning me towards maybe picking up completely different gear. customer service is #1 in my book...and if your too busy to answer some simple questions about your product...well...theres always someone else selling stuff as well. enough of my rant...

so i figure up the dimensions and it comes out to 5cft. im also wanting to run an aero port...but have zero idea how to correctly size the port.

he has another comp coming up on the 27th and id love to get some bigger numbers out of this, but im at a loss. had a different guy running AB15s tell me i need a huge box with huge ports (his is 11cft) and hes only getting 1.5db more than our current set up.

please help me out...im desperate and at a giant loss...i dont want to hack up the current box (which would be simple to make smaller and eliminate the slot port to install an aero....wouldnt take but a few minutes to do) but i dont want to ruin anything and have to start completely over.

11cubes for those subs seems a bit much. What is the current box tuned to? what metered on the windshield, what was the peak frequency? Is the current box sub up/port back?

Smaller enclosures are used to create a smaller bandwidth and larger peak. Anytime you decrease bandwidth, you will increase efficiency.

I'll assume your box is tuned ~ 35hz. This is a plot of your current box...

XFLs%20daily_zpsfemuigtp.png

Now this is a plot of the same woofers in about half the size and higher tuning. Now... the difference may not be immediately obvious, but the difference here is a net of ~ +5dB. Which is HUGE. And this doesn't even account for the additional output of the increased port area.

XFLs%20spl_zpsllqzrpde.png

Basically... make a box about 32"w x 14"h x 20"d with a n 8" round port and let it eat.

Nevermind, I see the difference now.

Would that box still play music decent as a day to day vehicle?

Yeah... I accidentally used the same pic twice. Hence the edit.

The port length needs to be tested. Start at whatever length you have available and cut it until it stops getting louder. This will obviously require meter time. If you don't have access to one for testing... just go with ~ 10-12".

Would it still play music? No. It's an SPL box. Refer to the my previous post about limiting bandwidth to increase efficiency/output.

If you want increased efficiency while maintaining bandwidth... you will need to look into a bandpass enclosure.

Archived