Sonic Electronix

i had a bass control knob in my system to turn it down when i seen the cops or going threw a residential area... the sound shop the just installed my new deck and sub box tuned the deck to the amp.. and they removed the bass knob

when i asked them why they said quote

1. its not real bass control.. what it does is just amplifies the sound signal ...and causes distortion

2. they cause harm to amp and to the subs and you should only use the gain from the amp and the head unit

3. they don't recommend them and they take them out on any system they install

i see lots of people on youtube with bass control knobs and i just want to know if this is all true,,

Christopher

My vehicle

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/3100-buick-rainier/?tab=images

2005 Buick Rainier CXL - Bose Premium & OnStar

Subs - P1 x 2 Ported Box

Amp - Kentwood Excelon X500-1 Mono block D amp - 1000W rms 1- Ohm 500W rms 2 ohm

Deck Kentwood BD362U

Mids / Highs - Bose Premium Sound System

YouTube Video of system

Depends on what "bass control knob" it was. Most that come with the amps are just that, bass control knobs as you say, which only boost certain frequencies, similar to bass boost on most amps. Causing distortion and damage.

Gain control knobs are different. They typically use RCA in/outs to lower and raise the AC voltage coming through the RCA's into the amplifier. No boosting a certain frequency. When setting up an amplifier to use one, you turn the knob all the way up before setting amp gain and plugging in, that way you can't turn the knob up anymore to clip the signal once you have set your gain to a distortion/clip free level.

So, to recap, some knobs are ok, some are not.

I see a lot of people on YouTube using and doing dumb shit all the time, doesn't make it ok. But at least now you're more informed of why the shop took it out.

thank you... mine had rca hook ups 2 line in and line out! so its a good thing they took it out then

Christopher

My vehicle

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/3100-buick-rainier/?tab=images

2005 Buick Rainier CXL - Bose Premium & OnStar

Subs - P1 x 2 Ported Box

Amp - Kentwood Excelon X500-1 Mono block D amp - 1000W rms 1- Ohm 500W rms 2 ohm

Deck Kentwood BD362U

Mids / Highs - Bose Premium Sound System

YouTube Video of system

If yours had RCA in and out, I'd use it. Just the way I said, knob turned all the way up during install, that way you can't increase the signal at all. But be aware, if the shop has any kind of warranty on your install, the moment you detach and cables/wires and put it in line with your RCA's, that warranty will probably be void, especially since they already told you what they think of knobs.

Yeah using a PAC LC-1 or something alike, or a real gain knob, not a bass knob is always great.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

If yours had RCA in and out, I'd use it. Just the way I said, knob turned all the way up during install, that way you can't increase the signal at all. But be aware, if the shop has any kind of warranty on your install, the moment you detach and cables/wires and put it in line with your RCA's, that warranty will probably be void, especially since they already told you what they think of knobs.

Not all are created equal. Just because it had RCA in/out doesnt mean it doesnt mud up the signal

Not all are created equal. Just because it had RCA in/out doesnt mean it doesnt mud up the signal

use the DD1 with it at full, and bobs your uncle. , if you see shit early, you have a poopie knob. I have yet to run a PAClc1 and saw noise introduced any earlier, but i hear what your saying....... Fuck face.

use the DD1 with it at full, and bobs your uncle. , if you see shit early, you have a poopie knob. I have yet to run a PAC-LC1 and saw noise introduced any earlier, but i hear what your saying....... Fuck face.

Yeah, nothing wrong with the PAC

But then again, you like anything that has to do with getting packed.

xoxo

Archived