charging a large batt bank with little alt

HI I don't think I have posted this question - had a quick look and couldn't see it...

Anyway due to the awesome design of my VW I am highly doubting I can fit more than 1 alt in there and after talking to a few guys the biggest output I can get is 250amp... now my biggest issue is how to keep 12 x group 31 AGM batts happy? More for shows etc. as this car is not a daily and I highly doubt I will be running full tilt on the street, the amps in question are 4 x dc 5ks with about 4k on mids and highs.

I was thinking of getting 12v power supplies as these can be had for around 50 bucks for a 50 amp unit, but my unsderstanding is they just dump voltage into the batts and this could be bad ( please correct me if I am wrong ).Unless it is possible to just turn them off when not playing/demoing.

I was looking at xs lithium batts but the aussie dollar is just too weak at the moment and I already have the the 12 batts

any ideas? cheers

DCSig.jpg

TEAM DC AUSTRALIA

13e4c3e0-74af-42b9-8d07-ebbd2b684e14_zps7d713c4c.jpg

You don't want to let your alt do the charging, that is hell on alts. Really the only good way is to get an actual 12v charger like one of the ones XS provides.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Some dual alt setups replace a existing component like the a/c compressor (y'all Aussies don't mind the heat right?lol) from what I hear so maybe look in that direction short of that a xs power intellecharger and a generator lol

Not this aussie lol.... im 99% sure due to vw awesome design i cant go that path

could look into having an alt custom wound, would probably cost a pretty penny tho

Singer said he could get me 250 amps out of one

You don't want to let your alt do the charging, that is hell on alts. Really the only good way is to get an actual 12v charger like one of the ones XS provides.

I have a charger to maintain them, this is for demos and shows. I wouldn't rely on just alts

DCSig.jpg

TEAM DC AUSTRALIA

13e4c3e0-74af-42b9-8d07-ebbd2b684e14_zps7d713c4c.jpg

So what do alternators do instead of charging that isn't "hell on alts"?

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Keeping batteries maintained, but if you constantly have a bank of dead batteries that the alt is the sole source of charging watch how long the alt lasts.

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Keeping batteries maintained, but if you constantly have a bank of dead batteries that the alt is the sole source of charging watch how long the alt lasts.

So what happens if you turn on your accessories, like headlights, ignition, AC, heat, amplifiers that draw +100A?

Where do those amps come from?

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

it still won't be a constant draw. The accessories might be but it won't be that much. The amps aren't likely drawing full current the whole time either. Amplifier draw is very dynamic which is much different than the static load that a bank of dead batteries would put on an alternator.

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Skippy is right

Skippy, you also have to see it this way. Nobody has the alt power to sustain the amount of amperage needed. Even with dynamic music. Dead batteries do kill an alternator quick but same happens if you play full tilt all day and don't have the alternator power to sustain 13.8v. You will always see people dip into the low 12's and keep it th at way. That puts strain on the alternator and kills batteries as it does and eventually kill the alternator. That's why charging batteries constantly is a must.

Archived