Sundown Audio

4 channel amp overheating

ctq

I do know, turn the gain down and the problem will resolve.

You can either take my advice or not I could care less because it's not my amp that's going to fry from not being set properly.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I wouldn't call under a seat an "open air environment"....

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

But yahoo answers says 3/4 of the way up is where it's supposed to be.... ;)

You're clipping like it ain't nobodies business OP. That MB Quart is either a trooper, or just really shitty to have lasted 9 years with the gain maxed out the way you say it was. The gain isn't a volume knob. It's a voltage matching potentiometer. Meaning it's supposed to be set to match the input AC voltage coming in thru the RCA cables from your head unit. You need an oscilloscope or DD-1 to set your gain to the proper level (much lower than 3/4 I'm sure) and your overheating will stop. And if you've blown any speakers, that should stop too. Hell, the DMM method would be better than just turning it up to where you THINK it should be

I just see it as a bad amp the way everyone talk as if everyone here runs there amps at 1/4-1/2 power the factory radio I took out the car put more watts out then the amp a 4 channel amp SHOULD NOT over heat in 3 mins on a ohm rating it rated to take as in 4ohms

what's the point of running a high amp if the radio is louder then the amp, the amp is at least 6 yrs old. it been in my closet that long !

I do respect everyone opinion but everyone know a amp should not over heat in 3 mins. even at 3/4 gain .on a ohm rating it can take.

Just can't stand the fact I pull all new wires thur the car for a amp not acting right. even more that the radio was louder

with this said what's a good high amp to run my highs on that will hold up longer then 3 mins on a 4 ohm load

thanks ctq

I just see it as a bad amp the way yall talk as if everyone here runs there amp at 1/4-1/2 power the factory radio I took out the car put more watts out then the amp a 4 channel amp SHOULD NOT

The gain knob isn't a volume knob. It matches the output of the head unit, as all head units are different. An amplifier can put out full power with the gain knob turned all the way down if the head unit output voltage is equal to the input sensitivity of the gain knob turned down.

THE GAIN KNOB IS NOT A VOLUME KNOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your gan setting is your problem.

Here's a stellar video explaining what a gain knob actually does. Please watch it and learn.

Cool OP. Go do you. Burn some shit up, don't listen to the advice you're given, damage your equipment and deal with overheating amplifiers, etc. You're either here to learn or your not, because even the most knowledgeable engineers that design all of the equipment people use on the daily, don't ask a question about something they're having an issue with, and then completely deny truth to the same answer they receive from different people. Listen to the advice that has been given.

The gain only increases power to a certain point. It's meant to match the output of the head unit, and give the signal so many dBm's of increased output. Once you go past that point where it is matched, the signal starts to clip, and doesn't increase much at all if any, and has to work harder and harder to try to do something it's not capable of anymore, creating heat, more heat, and more heat, and overheating eventually. And if it doesn't turn off or protect from the heat, something will end up damaged.

As stated, again, the gain IS NOT a volume knob. Whether it's at 1/16, 1/4, 1/2, or wherever doesn't matter. It's about matching the input AC voltage.

Archived