Need opinions*READ ME*

CleanSierra

So call me crazy but I've got an A pillar build I'm going to be doing(along side HDorre's pillars at the same time) and I had this wild idea.

I want to run a 3" Mid and a tweet in each A pillar. I was going through Parts Express and noticed that that sold 3.5" passive radiators. I could technically "port" my pillars. How do we think this would sound. I can easily use a miniDSP for crossover duties on this 3" Mid. I'm leaning toward Tang Band or something similar.

Any thoughts on this passive radiator idea?

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Skip the passive radiators and do some.HATs like daddy

Daddy being you or BIG Daddy being Bill?

I'm gonna Frankenstein these pillars with a good looking mid and tune with a DSP. Maybe save the passive radiator idea for some bookshelf project?

Let me ask this: What is your goal with passive radiators in the pillars?

I'm not sure how well it would work for midrange frequencies. For midbass stuff I doubt you would get far with a 3.5".

That's ignoring what would be involved in building one. Reinforcing the pillar so that the panel flex doesn't interfere with the action of the PR. Plus you'd need to seal it off and treat it as an enclosure.

If, on the other hand you want to play around and experiment, you might try building a small box for it out of .5" MDF. It would be easy to screw a panel over top of an empty hole to seal it, then replace with a PR to see the difference. If you go this route, I'd be very curious what results you get.

To my knowledge, there hasn't been much in the way of installing passive radiators for midrange speakers. It could be something, it could be nothing. I just don't know much about it. You'd be the first :)

I don't like back waves.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

I would seal it off Chris. I was reading and like 1 liter is about all they'd need. I could easily achieve that and the baffle would be MDF. I guess a passive radiator would be more if I was trying to get actual bass out of it. I only need 300-400 Hz up. A passive would allow lower than that I assume which I guess I don't need. I've never seen it done and was kind of just curious how that would work in a vehicle cabin.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd just go with a 4" and tweet and call it a day brother. Your pillars will never play below 250 htz to make any "real" action from a passive radiator ...

Now if you was running a 5.25" driver that could actually put out a little bit of driving force ........

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

You have to have a good driving force for a passive radiator. Like a strong midbass driver ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived