Sundown Audio

5k Or 7k Watt Amp Discussion

5k or 7k  

67 members have voted

1. 1. would you rather see a 5k or 7k watt amp?

Would it be anymore cost effective to offer a second version of the SAZ-3000D to be .5 ohm stable so you could strap them at 1 ohm to get the 6,000 watts someone might need?

You could call it the SAZ-3000D.5

Could it fit in the same chasis/heatsink?

How many changes would need to be made to accomplish that with the already existing SAZ-3000D?

I would guess you might sell more of those than building a vary large amp right off the bat.

and I don't want anyone coming back saying I run mine at .5 ohm all the time becuase I'm talking about one that was intended to be used officially at .5 ohms per amp and strapped at 1 ohm.

any thoughts or facts?

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

I don't see it paying off to offer two versions of the same amp, to be honest. Especially since if it was 1/2 ohm stable everyone would want to run it at 1/4 ohm :)

The market seems to want a massive 5-7k amp, so we'll see how it goes. If this deal doesn't go through Sundown won't be making an amp bigger than the 3k in 2008. Simply responding to requests by giving those interested, if there are enough, the opportunity to make it happen.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

Especially since if it was 1/2 ohm stable everyone would want to run it at 1/4 ohm :)

I see your point.

I was just curious.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

I don't see it paying off to offer two versions of the same amp, to be honest. Especially since if it was 1/2 ohm stable everyone would want to run it at 1/4 ohm :)

The market seems to want a massive 5-7k amp, so we'll see how it goes. If this deal doesn't go through Sundown won't be making an amp bigger than the 3k in 2008. Simply responding to requests by giving those interested, if there are enough, the opportunity to make it happen.

thank you Sundownz for being active on the forums. I like that for Sundown amps, information can come from the source to the reader, not through a daisy chain of "insider" information.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

just keeping all up to date in case you arent a member over at ***

"Okay, my estimate was about right on the 7k amp.

Roughly $2499 MSRP price tag.

Pre-Sale pricing would weigh in around 1600 (exact number pending) or so each for the 7k making it cheaper per watt than the 3000 or 1500 for those that pre-order. This amp would be producing anywhere from 9 - 10k on a strong 16-18 volt bank.

Team members would need to contact me about their pricing.

---

As for the warranty on the 7k. This would be it:

1) Fully tested before shipment to not be DOA.

2) No guarantee beyond that if ran under 1 ohm, period.

3) 90-day regular warranty.

4) 1-year discounted replacement warranty.

---

Quite an expensive unit here - how many would still be interested?

---------

The 5k would weigh in around 1250 on the pre-sale.

Being a slightly more "rational" amplifier I would be comfortably offering a 6 month warranty on it and 2-years discounted replacement.

---------

Why the short warranty? If the amp works for 3-6 months it's pretty well not a manufacturing problem - it comes down to abuse or mis-use. I have been VERY reluctant to offer a larger amp than the 3000D for the simple fact that almost nobody can supply the needed current to properly run such an amp. These are the terms necessary for me to do so - if there is interest, I'll do it. If there is not, I won't. "-Jacob

i likes me some audio stuff...

You responded to my post on termpro. I got the spl dynamic amps, and was looking at getting two saz 3000s, i think a 7k amp would be nice, but as there are a few other companies that offer the 5 and 7k range, but no one offers a 8k. 4k per woofer would be nice!!!