I do remember kevosinn's thread about an 'SQ' event at an SPL comp from last year using solely an RTA score.

While that is another way to create interest and another class for SPL competitors to hone their systems and skills, calling it 'SQ' is a bit of a misnomer.

Static drops are my bag.

Score on an RTA should still be taking into the judgment.

Yes you have to listen for unwanted noise, left right separation, time alignment, ect... But having a flat free response or close to it is important so that each recorded note is heard the way it was intended.

Other wise you get piano notes that got louder them the trumpet when the artist wanted the trumpet louder.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

I'd much rather have a vehicle that sounds good to me than one that is deemed good on an rta.

I will never build for flat. I will build for my ear.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Never said RTA wasn't important. Just that it's only one piece to the puzzle of SQ.

Most competitors (like me) run a bit louder in the bass range for the reason I stated above--judges' ears become accustomed to bass heavy systems so a truly flat tune may sound thin to them at that moment. Dirty little secret--if you have a buddy that thinks his stuff sounds better than yours--wait a while after you arrive (to let your ears return to 'normal' from the drive) and listen to YOUR system first. When you switch vehicles your ears will pick up more on the differences between the two, making the first one the 'baseline', and his will have to be much better to be the winner. Unless his is significantly better, then you're screwed. Now think of a judge sitting in 50 cars in a row...

We can also get into overcoming the ambient bass frequencies all around us all the time, especially at a car audio event, or while driving down the road, but meh...

Like N8, I know my cars sound the way I want them to. If they don't I'll use an RTA only to see what I can't put my finger on and fix it.

Static drops are my bag.

Now this thread is getting interesting ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

In PSYCLONE that i run, 1/3rd your score is based off a white noise, 30s flat 20-20k run.

What is funny, is you can get in the 90s (score of a possible 100) with just some coax speakers.

There was one dude, that posted a 93 with a cheap ass set of 5 1/4's in his doors, just ran open. Sq for days. LOL.

EDIT - mean while, the best ive ever done is a 88. LOL

And Brent levitt just posts up 99s and 100s all day....

I made it back on the SPL portion though :)

In PSYCLONE that i run, 1/3rd your score is based off a white noise, 30s flat 20-20k run.

What is funny, is you can get in the 90s (score of a possible 100) with just some coax speakers.

There was one dude, that posted a 93 with a cheap ass set of 5 1/4's in his doors, just ran open. Sq for days. LOL.

EDIT - mean while, the best ive ever done is a 88. LOL

And Brent levitt just posts up 99s and 100s all day....

I made it back on the SPL portion though :)

i made this point the other day some where else, cheap speaker in an optimum instillation can be amazing not considering high output as a factor. But really, public address horns mounted to the rear seat head rest do not SQ make. so many "sounds good" guy. but i guess really i should just min my own, if the OP is happy, let em be.

Archived