CleanSierra Posted December 17, 2015 Report Posted December 17, 2015 Do you plan on using quality wood to build an enclosure? I see why you asked the question the way you did, because of the negative responses you received on the amp choice. This has nothing to do with money or not, but trying to stay away from disclosing the brand because you KNOW the responses you'll receive? I get it, you've got a low budget build. Less than ideal equipment in a fantastic enclosure can really surprise people. You're a member of a forum that is for car audio ENTHUSIASTS. Most of us would not run Rockville or Quantum, we will SAVE for equipment we trust and can perform. Quantum is definitely a starting point, but obviously entry level. Everyone has to start somewhere and the companies that most of us run had an entry level line. I could likely get you entry level gear with the company I run for near $100 per sub. I am not rich and didn't buy all of my equipment in one day, I pieced our together. Sorry if I've come off as negative, I hate to see money wasted. You'll likely get the itch on your own once you catch the bug to build better, bigger and higher quality. Good luck with everything. Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
Broke_Audio_Addict Posted December 17, 2015 Report Posted December 17, 2015 I knew from the very first sentence that you were trying to justify buying junk. If that's all you can afford I get that but don't try to make it seem like it's something it isn't. That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.
Joe X Posted December 17, 2015 Report Posted December 17, 2015 Thank you joe x for the honest input and helping understand why and what i should look for in a better sub. These are quantum q3000/15D subs (lower end of totum pole). I believe they claim 1200 watts RMS (lol) but im gonna throw 500-650 watts at them to be safe. Already bought them a few months back and had one in a sealed box 2.3 cubic feet. These are going in my work truck and im not gonna replace them till they shell out. So sealed box huh, shoul i stick with the recommended 2.3 cubic feet each or go up or down .2 feet this is obvious not a SQ or SPL sub but i still need to "make it work" thanks again guys, im slowly learning and eventualy i will have top dog gear.... this build is just a stepping stone No actually I would recommend ported with them if you have the space, specially on an entry level amplifier you need an efficient box and ported is more efficient, also judging from the plot above you are likely to get ok sound quality from them, just don't expect everything rattling this time around.
Bayuk89 Posted December 17, 2015 Author Report Posted December 17, 2015 Clean sierra, i know what this forum is about. I guess i "irresponsibly" bought my set up. Best thing i have honestly is prolly my kenwood excelon x399 head unit for having 4 volt 6 pre outs to start my build on. I post what i have so that way the pros on here can see what i have and give me input to make it work the best for what it is. A turd is a turd no matter how u look at it, i wanted to get the help of u fine audio experts to help me produce the best turd i can with what i have lol. I was gonna use 3/4 MDF wood double stack the face plate and prolly use fiberglass on the corners to smooth it out, thought about using 1" wooden dowls to add support in a ported box but not sure if that was gonna be good or bad idea for bracing. I dont have any problems with you clean sierra and didnt want to call you out, i just felt disrespected instead of helped so i hope we can squash this ? Joe x, broke audio any everyone else thank you for ur guidence and input, im a fresh slate yall need to educate me so i can gain more knowledge
bmwking Posted December 17, 2015 Report Posted December 17, 2015 it was suggested that you build a box that you can use with future subs, this is a good idea. If you build to the 2.3 cubes per driver that will leave you open to a lot of better subs when the time comes. you'll likely have to change the porting when its time for new subs but that's easier than building a new enclosure each time. If the boxgods are feeling particularly generous, they may be able to provide you with some aeroport dimensions. swapping out aeroports is easy as hell compared to modifying a slot port. dont feel bad about what youre running. everyone starts somewhere. I started off with legacy and american pro bass machines. I just didnt have the internet around to make me feel bad about it. If it works for you, it works for you. when you want to upgrade, we will all be here to help you make a good choice. #noh8
scooter99 Posted December 17, 2015 Report Posted December 17, 2015 It's not the fact that these guys are buying crappy equipment, I don't think many have a beef with that. But when they're told it's not good equipment every single one of them tries to justify why it's not that bad or that it'll work. That's what gets everyone riled up. That and the mindset of I'll just buy this now because I can afford it right now, instead of saving for better first. And did you just hashtag no hate on here!!?? SMH WHAT IN THE HELL IS GOING ON AROUND HERE!!!!!????? Facebook Page: S99Creations 2006 F250 Lariat Build
bmwking Posted December 17, 2015 Report Posted December 17, 2015 It's not the fact that these guys are buying crappy equipment, I don't think many have a beef with that. But when they're told it's not good equipment every single one of them tries to justify why it's not that bad or that it'll work. That's what gets everyone riled up. That and the mindset of I'll just buy this now because I can afford it right now, instead of saving for better first. And did you just hashtag no hate on here!!?? SMH WHAT IN THE HELL IS GOING ON AROUND HERE!!!!!????? lol the hashtag was a joke. I think these guys have gotten caught up feeling like theyre being attacked for buying low dollar equipment rather than understanding it as its an attack on the equipment itself. we all understand that its junk, and we understand that its about being able to have just something rather than nothing. hell, theres been lots of times that i've had to buy something just to get me by until i could afford to run something nice. everyone says "save up, get something good" well... in the past i've bought stuff that i could afford just to make some noise until i could save up. and yeah i get that thats counterproductive and all that, but when you need the bass... you do what you have to do to have it. i cant believe that everyone came into the scene with 6 18s and 20kw money. its all about trial and error, and often those trials are errors, but we learn, and save, and get better. a lot of people forget their humble beginnings (if they had them).
Bayuk89 Posted December 17, 2015 Author Report Posted December 17, 2015 Thank you BMWking, i can build to 2.3 each in a sealed box snd have more options for 15" swap outs in the future. JoeX is that 3.0 feet before or after port displacement ? Also i was thinking about using 6in pvc pipe as an aero port for tuning (flared inside and outside the box). I have an app to calculate port box frequency with square or aero port. Space is not an issues on my vehical im using the whole back seat area (seat folded up) for my build (2nd gen dodge) so i was thinking about having the subs fire towards the seats and the ports face the roof. How does that sound joeX ?
scooter99 Posted December 17, 2015 Report Posted December 17, 2015 It's not the fact that these guys are buying crappy equipment, I don't think many have a beef with that. But when they're told it's not good equipment every single one of them tries to justify why it's not that bad or that it'll work. That's what gets everyone riled up. That and the mindset of I'll just buy this now because I can afford it right now, instead of saving for better first. And did you just hashtag no hate on here!!?? SMH WHAT IN THE HELL IS GOING ON AROUND HERE!!!!!????? lol the hashtag was a joke. I think these guys have gotten caught up feeling like theyre being attacked for buying low dollar equipment rather than understanding it as its an attack on the equipment itself. we all understand that its junk, and we understand that its about being able to have just something rather than nothing. hell, theres been lots of times that i've had to buy something just to get me by until i could afford to run something nice. everyone says "save up, get something good" well... in the past i've bought stuff that i could afford just to make some noise until i could save up. and yeah i get that thats counterproductive and all that, but when you need the bass... you do what you have to do to have it. i cant believe that everyone came into the scene with 6 18s and 20kw money. its all about trial and error, and often those trials are errors, but we learn, and save, and get better. a lot of people forget their humble beginnings (if they had them). I'll make this short and simplistic. It's not an attack, have thicker skin. It is about them, because as I said they try to justify to everyone that it's good. Yes it is counterproductive, but for the money being spent you can buy better, or for very little more, I proved this in another thread. No not everyone probably came into the scene that way, but not everyone bought back alley crap either. My firs set up was all rockford fosgate and I saved for every piece I had. But everything is sealed up in a nice neat little bow, when you say you "need" bass. You don't need any of this, you want this. Save up, it what you have to do when you don't have the money some others have. I had other shit typed out but eff it, it's not worth it. Good luck! Hope it works for you, but don't be surprised when it doesn't and $150 goes up in smoke. Facebook Page: S99Creations 2006 F250 Lariat Build
bmwking Posted December 17, 2015 Report Posted December 17, 2015 I'll make this short and simplistic. It's not an attack, have thicker skin. It is about them, because as I said they try to justify to everyone that it's good. Yes it is counterproductive, but for the money being spent you can buy better, or for very little more, I proved this in another thread. No not everyone probably came into the scene that way, but not everyone bought back alley crap either. My firs set up was all rockford fosgate and I saved for every piece I had. But everything is sealed up in a nice neat little bow, when you say you "need" bass. You don't need any of this, you want this. Save up, it what you have to do when you don't have the money some others have. I had other shit typed out but eff it, it's not worth it. Good luck! Hope it works for you, but don't be surprised when it doesn't and $150 goes up in smoke. I agree, this is the internet, they need to toughen up. and youre right, this isnt a need, its a want. my first set up was garbage, but it got the job done at the time and also got me interested in more intricate/expensive, better performing equipment. I agree it's not worth it, and dont think im doing anything other than playing devils advocate here. because it's fun and im usually bored at work with nothing better to do. and i dont waste my money anymore
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.