Second Skin Audio

12" Sub Replacements

RyanRosier

How much do you want to spend?

Money isn't really an issue, not being cocky, it just isn't. I've been saving towards an upgrade and it's what I want to do. haha

That's not much space to deal with for two subs. You could get away with some shallow mount subs, like the Kicker CompRT's or the Rockford Fosgate P3SD4's. Personally, with the space you have available, I'd recommend looking into a more powerful 10" in the 600-800w range if you are looking for a little more SPL. Maybe something like a SoundQubed HDS310.

I won't use a shallow mount :D lol and I seen your other comment about reading not past, it's cool here

Is that 1.89 cubic feet per side or altogether?

Sealed or ported?

Crap meant to be specific on that all so no one would have to ask questions, like make it really quick and easy on yall. But per side, and sealed.

1.89 net per side sounds like a big box for a reg cab, certainly big for most 12s on sealed, would be great if you posted your box dimensions.

• Dual 12" Sealed Truck Sub Box
    • Mounting Depth: 5-3/4"
    • Air Space: 1.98 Cubic Feet Per Sub
    • Sealed Enclosure
    • Dimensions: Width 57-1/4" x Height 15-1/4" x Depth One 5-1/2" x Depth Two 8"

Think your db meter needs a once over because any two 12"s in a box that size goosed with a few hundred watts in a single cab trunk should be WELL over 110db. 130's all day.

And you currently have the Kicker CompS? Why are you replacing them? Just trying to be louder? You've got the wattage to push something better? Or the wallet? The CompR is under 6" mounting depth...

Ya really think so..? Might need to check something out again.

I have the CompS. And well I read every where Kickers Subs have gone to crap and the only ones worth anything are L5 and L7's for SPL. I want an SQL basically. (Forgive me if that isnt a real term. I read it somewhere, i honestly believe it was crutchfield,) Loud but sound good. And I can just buy a bigger amp, or run 2. Mainly wallet though. And I looked at the comp R a while back, they looked pretty good to me. What would you run? but ended up getting these both brand new for under $100. Guy just didn't use them or want them haha

And yeah, 1.89cuft x 2 is pretty friggin large for a single cab pickup. You sure about that number?

Pretty positive, I posted demensions above, but it goes all the way across the back and has a console cut out, but the cutout isn't just like a piece of board. It has airspace behind it. and subs get split right in the middle of it.

2003 Chevy Silverado Reg Cab. Rockford Fosgate 500a2 and Kicker ZR240 each on their own 12" Kicker Comp S. Small, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

OK, I wasn't sure if you were trying to do this for cheap or not.

Since you aren't on a super tight budget I'd probably look at more SQ focused home audio subs, these would be an excellent example and would work well in the space you have available: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss315hf-4-12-reference-hf-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-464

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Running those dimensions, I get about 1.1 cubic feet per chamber before driver displacement, with the driver in it should go down to 1 cubic feet net per chamber:

Vb = 1.15 ft^3 (per chamber)

External Height = 15.25 in
External Width = 57.25 in
External Depth = 8 in 80.7 deg.
External Depth2 = 5.5 in 80.7 deg.

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.
* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

Front = 15 1/4 x 57 1/4

Top = 4 , 4 1/8 x 57 1/4

Bottom = 6 1/2 , 6 3/8 x 57 1/4

Back = 15 7/16 x 57 1/4 (top/botton cuts: 9.3 deg.)

Left & Right Sides + Center Divider (3 parts) =
Top = 4 1/8
Bottom = 6 3/8
Front = 13 3/4
Back = 13 15/16

It's actually a good size for most 12" sealed setups.

Running those dimensions, I get about 1.1 cubic feet per chamber before driver displacement, with the driver in it should go down to 1 cubic feet net per chamber:

Vb = 1.15 ft^3 (per chamber)

External Height = 15.25 in

External Width = 57.25 in

External Depth = 8 in 80.7 deg.

External Depth2 = 5.5 in 80.7 deg.

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

Front = 15 1/4 x 57 1/4

Top = 4 , 4 1/8 x 57 1/4

Bottom = 6 1/2 , 6 3/8 x 57 1/4

Back = 15 7/16 x 57 1/4 (top/botton cuts: 9.3 deg.)

Left & Right Sides + Center Divider (3 parts) =

Top = 4 1/8

Bottom = 6 3/8

Front = 13 3/4

Back = 13 15/16

It's actually a good size for most 12" sealed setups.

This is my setup, just a straight box off ebay, but it's got to be way bigger than 1 foot perside. Way bigger. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Audio-Dual-12-Regular-Cab-Universal-Console-Truck-Sub-Box-Enclosure-Amp-Kit-/391349803188?hash=item5b1e4418b4:g:yIUAAOSw~OdVaNsG&vxp=mtr

2003 Chevy Silverado Reg Cab. Rockford Fosgate 500a2 and Kicker ZR240 each on their own 12" Kicker Comp S. Small, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

Do the math for yourself, but if those are exterior dimensions and using 3/4" MDF, the gross internal volume is 2.329cuft TOTAL. So yeah, exactly what Joe X said. 1.165cuft per sub without sub displacement. Me thinks the eBay listing is lying. Heck, I can tell by the picture alone that it's no ~4cuft enclosure.

Bust out the tape measure and do the calculations yourself if you'd like. Just sayin. If the figures you posted are what you've got in there, it ain't even close to 1.98 per sub. Even if those were INTERIOR dimensions.... you'd still only have ~1.7. You got lied to friend.

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

And I would disagree about your notion on Kicker. Kicker receives plenty of flack online now since they're sold at Best Buy and now WalMart. People love to hate on anything big box and/or anything popular. But Kicker makes entry level all the way up to high friggin end. Their Q-class amplifiers are, arguably, the most advanced car audio amplifiers on the market.

Two CompR's on 800WRMS in a single cab pickup should be enough to shake the mirrors silly. Like 100 bucks each.

Though you might want to measure the mounting depth yourself before you buy anything, as it would seem the specs on that listing aren't to be trusted.

Spoken like a good kicker salesman.

I'm assuming you work at a kicker dealer?

I won't argue about the amps, they do make very nice amps but the subs are just meh in my opinion.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

lol everyone is entitled to their opinion. Nowhere did I say everything they make is gold. I said the opposite in fact. Entry level up to high end. But with only ~1cuft of net airspace and 100 bucks each, they ain't a bad option. Yeah, he can spend more. But what do you have that will work better in 1cuft, actually be worth x2 the price and fit in that mounting depth?

Oh and yes, I did sell and install Kicker gear for years. I don't any longer, but only because I've taken a different path in my career. More of a suit and tie man now. But even if I was, I'm not making money off this kid's purchase, so why would I care? To give Kicker 20 bucks profit? LOL

Archived