apriljohnston Posted January 4, 2016 Report Posted January 4, 2016 Forgive me as I am very very new at this. First Question I am working on designing a box build for my boyfriend. He's got a DC Level 3 15" subwoofer. I am using Torres box tuning calculator. However, I am having a hard time figuring out what the recommended Hz is for this specific sub. I thought at one point that I had saw 35 hz, so I was attempting to mess with the dimensions and such until I reached as close to that as possible. Second question I became quite close (at like 35.20 hz) and then began designing the box. However, once I was done, I realized that I had the height of the box at 15"......blonde moment..... that's not really going to work with a 15" sub. So my next questions would be, I am seeing that the outside driver diameter for this sub is 15.7". I am looking at box dimensions of: Height: 16.75", Width: 38", Depth: 18.75". I really can't go much taller that 16.75" for height due to the trunk size. The specs for the sub are as follows: Mouthing Depth: 8", Mounting Hole Driver: 14", Outside Driver Diameter" 15.7", Motor Width: 7". Can someone please explain to me what exactly the Outside Driver Diameter is? And does it sound like these dimensions will work for this sub. Thank you so much in advance and please feel free to give me all of your opinions and I will take all criticism constructively.
khinds94 Posted January 4, 2016 Report Posted January 4, 2016 The outside driver diameter is basically the diameter of the basket. So when building your box you should measure your cutout of your sub to be slightly smaller than that size maybe .1 or .2 inches. If you were to use just 15.0" the sub would not be flush with the box. As far as your first question goes your probably asking about the tuning frequency of the enclosure which varies based on what music you listen to. You probably saw the Fs or free air frequency of the sub which doesn't have much to do in your application. My advice is that if your boyfriend listens to normal music, tune it to roughly 35 hz. 03 Sable LS AA mayhem 12" D2 Sundown ZV4 12" D1 Tantric HD 12" D2 Tantric SHD 12" D1 Sundown X12 V2 D2 2.5 cu net Sundown 2000d @ 1 ohm XS Power XP2000 Sky High Sound Deadener Sky High wire Stock alt
Kyblack76 Posted January 4, 2016 Report Posted January 4, 2016 Just cool to see a female, doing audio work and trying to learn. Dig it. EDIT - A lot of knowledge here, they will set you straight. And welcome to the forum. SMD SUPER SELLER The Burban Build Blazer Build sold Acura trunk build sold
Joe X Posted January 4, 2016 Report Posted January 4, 2016 Tuning is going to depend on the type of music you listen, also what's the amp being used?
apriljohnston Posted January 4, 2016 Author Report Posted January 4, 2016 Tuning is going to depend on the type of music you listen, also what's the amp being used? The amp being used is a Kicker DX 1000.1. He mainly listens to dubstep.
ToNasty Posted January 4, 2016 Report Posted January 4, 2016 I'd tune lower for that. 32 ish would be what I'd tune too ***Super Sellers List***http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/25829-super-sellers-buyers
ShadeTreeMechanic Posted January 4, 2016 Report Posted January 4, 2016 The outside driver diameter is the overall size of the mounting rim. If you make your hole this size, the speaker will fall through the hole and into your box. If the mounting hole diameter is 14 then I would cut exactly 14 and then trim slightly if needed for a tight fit. 91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco) 250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon) G65 AGM Up Front / Two G31 AGM in Back Pioneer 80PRS CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon) Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)
apriljohnston Posted January 4, 2016 Author Report Posted January 4, 2016 So if I design the box at 16.5" in height, I should be able to get the 15" sub in there smoothly, correct? I apologize if I sound stupid, just want to make sure I have all of my ducks in a row!
ToNasty Posted January 4, 2016 Report Posted January 4, 2016 Yes ***Super Sellers List***http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/25829-super-sellers-buyers
apriljohnston Posted January 4, 2016 Author Report Posted January 4, 2016 The outside driver diameter is the overall size of the mounting rim. If you make your hole this size, the speaker will fall through the hole and into your box. If the mounting hole diameter is 14 then I would cut exactly 14 and then trim slightly if needed for a tight fit. Thank you! That helps me understand it much better! I've learned way more in a week of reading than I ever thought I would!
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.