DC Power Alt "burned up" with no system in

Can someone help me, please? :)

I've got a 2005 suburban with the 5.3 with the dual alt bracket from DC Power with a DC Power 250a (one that I believe burned up) and a 320spxi that seems fine...

There are NO amps hooked up. My power runs are ran but aren't hooked up. Just the 2 alternators and a D3400 up front. I'm glad nothing else was hooked up when this happened.

What happened:

I turned on my vehicle tonight. It's been sitting in the garage for a solid 3-4 weeks and hadn't been started in a couple. The instant I gave it gas, I heard a high pitched squealing noise and thought it was the belt at first. Then I got out and noticed the 250a alt was SUPER hot. So I then turned off the vehicle(this was just like 5 minutes), loosened the belt and checked the pulley on the alt and it's fine so it's not a problem there. After even 10 minutes or so of the car being off, the alternator in question was still VERY hot to the touch, while the other one(320spxi) was cooled off already like normal. Did I just burn up the regulator in the alt? I'm calling DC Power tomorrow about this but I wanted to share what happened here and see if anyone could tell me anything.

97 Suburban

8 custom PSI Platform 3 18's

If you don't have a load on the alt, you can burn the regulator up. I've seen it happen on more than one alt.

yeah i was gonna say something about this too..

The alt saw battery right? Or when you say the power is run but not hooked up, you mean that alt isn't charging anything? That sir would be the problem imo.

If you don't have a load on the alt, you can burn the regulator up. I've seen it happen on more than one alt.

yeah i was gonna say something about this too..

The alt saw battery right? Or when you say the power is run but not hooked up, you mean that alt isn't charging anything? That sir would be the problem imo.

No. The battery is definitely hooked up! I was saying there were no amps hooked up to the electrical system at the time.

97 Suburban

8 custom PSI Platform 3 18's

Archived