Second Skin Audio

5 Point Star Box

RyanRosier

If you cut the top piece first you can use this to figure out angles and lengths of the entire enclosure, Much easier than trying to buld the sides of the box first.

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

Sure, it's possible. It would be a lot of work.

You'd have to know exact angles, degrees of each point? Because not all 5 points are equal right? Some, the arms id guess you'd say, are more angled than the rest? On a difficulty scale how hard would this be? Could you produce a cut sheet? Or is the math something out of this world time consuming and hard?

It wouldn't be THAT hard. There really are only two angles, the angle at the points, and the angle at the intersections between the points. Just lots of repetitive cuts on the table saw. Probably the hardest part about building it would be clamping it all together while the glue dries. A Kreg jig or brad nailer would make that a lot easier.

I would probably layout the port a little differently to simplify things, but there is no reason something like that couldn't be built. My big questions is "why"?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

You could build a square box so that you know how to port and tune it and get the audio side of it right then build a star facia around the box. Bondo,a bunch of sanding and some paint and none will be the wiser. It's possible that there will be some weird resonance but probably some foam or batting or something could fix that.

Sure, it's possible. It would be a lot of work.

You'd have to know exact angles, degrees of each point? Because not all 5 points are equal right? Some, the arms id guess you'd say, are more angled than the rest? On a difficulty scale how hard would this be? Could you produce a cut sheet? Or is the math something out of this world time consuming and hard?
It wouldn't be THAT hard. There really are only two angles, the angle at the points, and the angle at the intersections between the points. Just lots of repetitive cuts on the table saw. Probably the hardest part about building it would be clamping it all together while the glue dries. A Kreg jig or brad nailer would make that a lot easier.

I would probably layout the port a little differently to simplify things, but there is no reason something like that couldn't be built. My big questions is "why"?

How exactly would you do the port? Slot? Areo? or just a different layout?

And same reason anyone else does a build, because why the heck not?!?! lolll But just simply out of pure love for the field of audio. Now how would you be able to calculate the total internal air and the port displacement?

2003 Chevy Silverado Reg Cab. Rockford Fosgate 500a2 and Kicker ZR240 each on their own 12" Kicker Comp S. Small, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

How exactly would you do the port? Slot? Areo? or just a different layout?

And same reason anyone else does a build, because why the heck not?!?! lolll But just simply out of pure love for the field of audio. Now how would you be able to calculate the total internal air and the port displacement?

I would do a slot port, much like what you had in the picture, but I would have it exit right below a "point" in the star so you wouldn't have the 90 degree corner at the end.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I could make this easily, and so that there wouldnt be angled edges for the sides that could be a potential weak point.

stack-fab ftw

exactly what I was thinking. it would be way to time consuming to cut and join all those edges. by the time you get all the angles figured out and the cut angles figured out, i could be half way done.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

I agree with audiofanaticz that layered mdf would be easier, and it would also allow more freedom in the design. You could do more rounded points on the stars to give the final box a smoother look.

Everyone who's talking about how hard the math would be needs to go take geometry again though, this isn't that complex of a shape and it's not like you need integral calc to make it all work.

Archived