Irocthestreetz Posted January 22, 2016 Report Posted January 22, 2016 You THINK you've had 2300 going to that sub. Reality, less than 1300 probably How am I not putting 2300w out of a sq2200.2?
reedal Posted January 22, 2016 Report Posted January 22, 2016 You THINK you've had 2300 going to that sub. Reality, less than 1300 probablyHow am I not putting 2300w out of a sq2200.2?Just because you're wired to 1ohm doesn't mean you stay at 1ohm.Nominal impedance vs reactive impedance. SMD Tool Map https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/ Build log https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/197217-reeds-03-tahoe-hat-sqaq-singer-xs-shca-cockbox-80prs/?page=32
Irocthestreetz Posted January 22, 2016 Report Posted January 22, 2016 You THINK you've had 2300 going to that sub. Reality, less than 1300 probablyHow am I not putting 2300w out of a sq2200.2?Just because you're wired to 1ohm doesn't mean you stay at 1ohm.Nominal impedance vs reactive impedance. Can you explain why please?
reedal Posted January 22, 2016 Report Posted January 22, 2016 You THINK you've had 2300 going to that sub. Reality, less than 1300 probablyHow am I not putting 2300w out of a sq2200.2?Just because you're wired to 1ohm doesn't mean you stay at 1ohm.Nominal impedance vs reactive impedance. Can you explain why please? Easiest way will be for you to see it for yourself. Grab a DMM, and measure the impedance of your voice coil (outside of the enclosure, no power applied). It should read around 2ohm. Set the meter down, angled so you can still read it, and gently push down on the dust cap of your sub while watching the meter. The numbers are changing right? Let the cone rise back up, and they'll change again. And then when it comes to a complete rest the number will be around 2ohm again. Now when you have it in your ported enclosure, wired to 1ohm (nominal impedance), it does the same thing as it is moving with the power applied while you're listening to music (don't try to measure the impedance during this, you'll damage your meter. Impedance and current must me measured in series, not parallel). Except now you have the efficiency of your enclosure, the frequency being played, and the amount of power applied (and I'm sure there are more factors) all playing a role in what your impedance is. You can measure your impedance curve using a frequency sweep and test equipment to find out your lowest impedance (using the SMD IM-SG is a convenient way). If you were to do that, you will see that you are never as low as 1ohm. And you will never go below 1ohm. Your lowest reactive impedance will always be higher than your nominal wiring impedance. Therefore, you will never reach a full 2300w out of that amp even if it was 100% efficient and you never dropped below 14.4 volts. There is a lot more that factors into it, this is just the quick and easy version SMD Tool Map https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/ Build log https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/197217-reeds-03-tahoe-hat-sqaq-singer-xs-shca-cockbox-80prs/?page=32
kirill007 Posted January 22, 2016 Report Posted January 22, 2016 What amp do you have with what sub? Overpowering really shouldn't be making them smelly, clipping will definitely do it tho. The best way to describe it is just a very hot smell. What? Let's all buy 300W subs and power them with 7kw amps.... You THINK you've had 2300 going to that sub. Reality, less than 1300 probablyHow am I not putting 2300w out of a sq2200.2?Just because you're wired to 1ohm doesn't mean you stay at 1ohm.Nominal impedance vs reactive impedance. And most importantly, music is dynamic. Thinking is the root of all problems... You ALWAYS get what you pay for.
vw0404 Posted January 23, 2016 Author Report Posted January 23, 2016 2 sp4 18s with 2 3500 at .5 ohm I set the gains with a dd1 I only smell something after 2 mins at full tilt or close to it
Kyblack76 Posted January 23, 2016 Report Posted January 23, 2016 2 sp4 18s with 2 3500 at .5 ohm I set the gains with a dd1 I only smell something after 2 mins at full tilt or close to it Your good with 2 minutes? OK. I've nit smelled much coil, but when I have it always had a "sweet" smell. :shrugs: But most of my body stuff is broke and don't work. SMD SUPER SELLER The Burban Build Blazer Build sold Acura trunk build sold
boom50cal Posted January 23, 2016 Report Posted January 23, 2016 2 sp4 18s with 2 3500 at .5 ohm I set the gains with a dd1 I only smell something after 2 mins at full tilt or close to it Your good with 2 minutes? OK. I've nit smelled much coil, but when I have it always had a "sweet" smell. :shrugs: But most of my body stuff is broke and don't work. you make sp4's smell? dude... I've been in some downright fucking crazy SP4 musical rigs that demo alll.....day...long....(Eric Reed/Jeff Guckenberg's Suburban for one, OBI's Lincoln) and not once ever had any smell come from their woofers. And they literally demo all...fucking...day...long... something's up with your enclosure, or electrical. because those woofers are complete monster's on music. If Eric had an M3b at 1/2 per on his, with rock solid electrical... 110* and he was pumping out 2-3 song demos before he would let them cool down.... you shouldn't be having issues out of them on 2 3500's. Fuck, kyle ran his on some shitbox 6500's for a bit, each? On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said: Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.
Irocthestreetz Posted January 23, 2016 Report Posted January 23, 2016 You THINK you've had 2300 going to that sub. Reality, less than 1300 probablyHow am I not putting 2300w out of a sq2200.2?Just because you're wired to 1ohm doesn't mean you stay at 1ohm.Nominal impedance vs reactive impedance. Can you explain why please?Easiest way will be for you to see it for yourself.Grab a DMM, and measure the impedance of your voice coil (outside of the enclosure, no power applied). It should read around 2ohm. Set the meter down, angled so you can still read it, and gently push down on the dust cap of your sub while watching the meter. The numbers are changing right? Let the cone rise back up, and they'll change again. And then when it comes to a complete rest the number will be around 2ohm again. Now when you have it in your ported enclosure, wired to 1ohm (nominal impedance), it does the same thing as it is moving with the power applied while you're listening to music (don't try to measure the impedance during this, you'll damage your meter. Impedance and current must me measured in series, not parallel). Except now you have the efficiency of your enclosure, the frequency being played, and the amount of power applied (and I'm sure there are more factors) all playing a role in what your impedance is. You can measure your impedance curve using a frequency sweep and test equipment to find out your lowest impedance (using the SMD IM-SG is a convenient way). If you were to do that, you will see that you are never as low as 1ohm. And you will never go below 1ohm. Your lowest reactive impedance will always be higher than your nominal wiring impedance. Therefore, you will never reach a full 2300w out of that amp even if it was 100% efficient and you never dropped below 14.4 volts. There is a lot more that factors into it, this is just the quick and easy version Thank you I'll try that out when I re do the box. Question you mentioned efficency of the box, what exactly makes the box "efficient" in this instance? Thank you.
Irocthestreetz Posted January 23, 2016 Report Posted January 23, 2016 What amp do you have with what sub? Overpowering really shouldn't be making them smelly, clipping will definitely do it tho. The best way to describe it is just a very hot smell.What? Let's all buy 300W subs and power them with 7kw amps.... You THINK you've had 2300 going to that sub. Reality, less than 1300 probablyHow am I not putting 2300w out of a sq2200.2?Just because you're wired to 1ohm doesn't mean you stay at 1ohm.Nominal impedance vs reactive impedance. And most importantly, music is dynamic. Lol I thought that was a given I guess not. But depending on the sub, sending a extra 500w over rated shouldnt cause it to get smelly, no?
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.