Second Skin Audio

2 Subwoofers 2 Amps?

Kyle13130

if you are doing this in a shared chamber box its very important to gain match.... but in the OP's comment... they will be divided so if they are off its not going to affect the other like in a shared chamber box or like running 2 amps to a single coil on a dual voice coil sub

I understand gain matching will get you the best performance that this setup is capable of but its not required

What about an O-scope and DMM?

That could work but DD1 is gonna show ur distortion a oscope only shows clipping. Better off get the $150 DD1 in my opinion
I don't think you've ever used an o-scope if you think it only shows clipping. An oscilloscope will show the signal, be it distorted, or clipped (which is a form of distortion) or clean. If you measure a sine wave, you will see a sine wave. Same goes for square waves, or sawtooth, or any form of signal. You can read AC and DC signals. Obviously with every product some are better than others. And like every piece of test equipment, after some time it should be re-calibrated. What one video shows against a DD-1 does not speak for the equipment as a whole.

Edit: and the regular DD-1 will not set gains on two amplifiers evenly. For that you need to gain match. You would need a DMM to measure the output voltage to make sure they are equal, or use the DD-1+ which gives you a voltage readout, or use the CC-1 with its gain matching feature. Or if you have an oscilloscope, measure the output voltage and match the higher reading amplifier to the lower.

How cant u set both gains with a DD1 ? If the amps are run off seperate RCA cables from a Y on the deck or just daisy chained from master and slave . Cant u just plug the DD1 on one amp till distortion then back down then go to the next amp and do the same ? Or do u HAVE to have the CC1 to set two amps ? I just figured if the amps are off a Y split u can set each amp for distortion with the DD1 and u can set ur set ur SSF and LPF by doing the math of SSF and LPF "wide open" and play what ever test tone u need to set ur filters to with a DMM on a/c volts, times that number by .707 and turn ur filter knob till u see that number on ur DMM.

BUT..... the best and proper way is with a CC1 as mentioned....

if im wrong please explain

both amps will be distortion free with the dd1 but they might distort at different values so they are not gain matched for equal power

same Idea as using a youtube video that someone uses a dd1 on the same headunit as you own and saying well I guess I can go to 50/50 with out clipping.... problem is electronics are not exactly the same

What he said. Everthing has a tolerance, so yes, while those two amplifiers are mirror images of each other inside and out, resistor number 115 on both boards is given a tolerance of plus or minus 5% of its rated resistance. Well on amp A it's plus 1%, amp B is minus 3%. Now both amps are set max clean via DD-1, but amp A outputs 34.8VAC while amp B outputs 33.2VAC. Get it?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Jcsn3-Uf4

REEDAL

Watch that video of D'AMOUR testing a $1300 alpine head unit with DD1 VS oscope for CLEAN signal......

Just saw this post, but I watched the video when it was debuted. And yes, that is A single oscilloscope. Not every oscope out there, and while I haven't watched it recently, I do not believe it states when the last time it was calibrated. There are many oscope a out there. There are many different types of meters and things that all have low end, medium, and high end equivalents. Think about that. Don't try to establish your knowledge of test equipment you've never seen or used in person because a video marketing their own test equipment says theirs is better.

I've been planning on buying an American Bass Xfl1522 and wiring it @ 1-Ohm to a Crescendo Audio S1500.1. In the future when I can upgrade my electrical (past a Big 3) I might want another AB XFL15 and S1500.1. Would It work? Im assuming that I would just build say an 8 cu. ft. box and separate them into two 4 cu. ft. boxes on the inside to prevent cancellation.

I would recommend just getting a 3K amp setting your gains low, everything else do as you plan, in the end it will be less expensive, no gain/settings matching issues and a cleaner looking simpler install, by the time you are ready to upgrade just swap the box and you are done.

Archived